Why are people so threatened by things they *supposedly* don't believe in?

So, I've noticed on here that there are parents that don't want there children doing holiday specific crafts, or coloring pictures of certian things, or whatever...proportedly because they don't beleive in it.

A couple of cotton balls and red felt is not celbrating Christmas, just as watching someone light a menorah is not celbrating Haunakkah. Do you have a problem with your child learning about the history, culture and beliefs of others?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 9:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's simply because they want to be able to control what is taught to there children. As parents they have that right to a point. It's not a matter of not believing it's a matter of not celebrating. I am pagan, my husband is Christian. We do celebrate Christmas and Yule... I personally wouldn't mind if someone was doing Christmas crafts with my kids. But if you are a parent who is trying to raise your kids that "We don't do this" and then they are taught that's it's okay at school or at a sitters house it would be a conterdiction to what you are trying to teach them... Lets forget about holidays for a moment... If you were teaching your children it's wrong to have sex before marriage and then they went to school and the teacher was teaching them the joys of sex would you be okay with it?? It's simply going against what they are teaching there kids, that's all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I understand what you're saying...but you have to look at it from a different angle. How would you feel if the schools were reading stories about witchcraft?

If it goes against your beliefs, then you try to avoid it don't you? That doesn't mean you feel threatened by it. It just means you don't agree with it and don't want your child exposed to it (at least not at a very young age).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I personaly do not have a problem with it. Kids need to learn about every cultur. It helps them grow as a person. So they wont be closed minded

Answer by louise2 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• That's the reason people home school their kids. So they won't learn things they don't want their kids to learn. But they don't understand that when those home schooled kids become adults and go out into the real world and see all this stuff their parents didn't teach them. Well the home schooling didn't help.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm not sure. Why do all those Christians get up in arms about books with two mommies or two daddies? Knowing that other kids have gay parents isn't going to make them gay is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• its a little crazy. im glad that more & more schools are talking about what others celebrate even if its just so they can do Christmas stuff. if we could teach all of our kids more about what others believe maybe when they grow up they wont feel threatened by it. the people who are angered by their kids learning about other cultures always strike me as ppl who are not secure in their own beliefs. as a Christian i never learned about Hanukah & then thought "im gonna be Jewish now!" (tho i do LOVE latkas). while i think the youngest grades shouldnt be talking about things as complex as religion, it never hurts to explore other traditions. there are many worse things out there that we need to be concerned about our kids seeing than someone elses traditions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Perhaps it is because, at least in many schools, the overwhelming majority of the holiday crafts and activities are centered around ONE religious philosophy with only a nod at any others that may be celebrated during the same season. It is not so much that we mind our children being shown another's heritage, it is more that what is being taught is so biased towards one specific faith, while our own observances are typically an afterthought, tacked on so as to be able to appear to be PC. Religion is a personal thing and should be taught & celebrated at home or in a religious institution (eg..church or parochial school), not in a public school where all faiths & philosophies are represented.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The only thing I have ever had a problem with (at my girls previous school) was they taught about kwanza and Hanaka (sp?) but they didn't teach about Christmas, I don't have a problem with them learning about other religions, but you either need to teach about all or none.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

This statement is just pure ignorance. 

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Answered at 8:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 by: ReneeK3
    Renee...
    I understand what you're saying...but you have to look at it from a different angle. How would you feel if the schools were reading stories about witchcraft?

...and what would be wrong with that? Witchcraft is a form of prayer. It's just another religious practice.

And to the OP, There's a lot of people out there with the "us vs. them" mentality who believe if it didn't come from THEIR god, it must have come from THEIR devil.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2008