I just saw a kid push down my child for the 7th time in a couple days and I am fighting the urge to push HER down!

Anyone else ever feel like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I feel this way all the time. I can't stand mean kids. We went to the splash pad one day and there was a girl my son's age who was yelling and smacking my child and his friends (both girls and boys) if they even walked past the fountains bc she said they were hers. If they walked near her or her friends (who were in the center of the pad they were just passing not trying to friend her) she would chase after and hit them. Her mother as well as the friends mother just sat there watching the whole thing. Finally I had to correct the child myself for hitting my kid in the face!
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 11:46 AM on May. 30, 2011

• lol oh, I should not I did not correct her my hitting back, though I really wanted to.
    GirlWithANikon

• 7th time??? Whoa.. were is this childs parents. I would have stepped in by now I think.. but maybe its because my son is only 3 but 7 times no matter what is too much.. leave, talk to her parent, go somewhere else to play.. so frustrating.. I'm sorry ...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:50 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Oh I put her on time out. That's the only "acceptable" way I can think of to step in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Can't leave my own home...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Wait. This is a child in your home who is acting out? Is the mom there or are you in charge?
    If mom is there and not doing anything, insist on her either disciplining her child or cutting the visit short and taking the child home.
    If you're in charge, you're in charge. Do what you would do to your child if your kid did this to someone else. A time out is absolutely appropriate in this case. If this kid is just visiting, I'd start turning down playdates.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 12:06 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would speak to the mom and ask for her to discipline her her child. If not, then I would take my child out of that situation. If you are getting a bad feeling about it then it mean you should do something. I would not put my hands on another child ever but I would take my child away from the problem.
    melissaguti

Answer by melissaguti at 12:09 PM on May. 30, 2011

• So are you babysitting? Are you having company? I would address the situation with the child's mother!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Time outs do not teach good behavior and rarely stop bad behavior. There are many parenting skills that can be learned that can help you handle your own and other people's children.

"Change the situation" is an easy solution. Stay away from the child. Teach the child other ways of dealing with frustration. I taught my grandson to turn away and say stop if the Chihuahuas started to jump up on him. It empowered him and the dogs learned it wasn't okay to jump up on him even if he was little. We always save stop for important situations. It's common for toddlers to hear no and stop so often they ignore it. If you save no and stop for important situations then the words can keep their power.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on May. 30, 2011