Using a taxi service for your teen.... thoughts?

I was picking up my teen at a party and a taxi was there to pick up another teen. My daughter told me that there are a couple kids who use a taxi service to get home from parties so their parents dont have to pick them up late at night.

This is well with in budget for these families.

What are your thoughts on this?

btw... CA law says that a teenager must have his/her license for one full year before they can legally drive other teens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We have done it with our teens so I dont see a problem. It really isnt that expensive and they get home safely.

Answer by gemgem at 11:39 AM on May. 30, 2011

• If they are too lazy to go get their teens from late parties, then those teens don't need to be out partying. It is the parents responsibility, not a cab driver. Provided that the parents have the transportation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:40 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think it's a great idea.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:41 AM on May. 30, 2011

• My brother in law owns a taxi service and I know he offers a service to friends and family for safe pick ups. I know you have to be careful about the taxi firm though, you can never be too careful.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 11:41 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Lazy? Way to judge other parents. I happen to work from 5am on so even when my teen is at a party until 11pm it is a lot for me to wake up to pick them up. Not to mention, it is the cab drivers job when called. That's how they earn their money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think it is a good idea, I used them when I was a teenager to get where I needed to go, if the bus could not get me there. My mother worked 2 jobs and went to school, so she was not always available for transportation, but she would give me money so I could figure out rides. After a certain age, kids can be independent, IMO
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:46 AM on May. 30, 2011

• 1st - shame on who ever did the vote down... simply rude... twin gave an opinion please respect that.

2nd - anon... I was asking for opinions. Not judging.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I have no problem with it, if the parents have work and or other children at home, it could be difficult to wake up everyone to go out at night, this way they know exactly what time the child is picked up and know exactly when they get home, and are assured that a sober dirver is transporting them.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:09 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't think its necessarily a bad thing...it is a safe ride home..but it wouldn't be something I would want to do. I would want to see this party, see my child (i.e. has there been drinking/smoking etc),and not have the additional expense.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with twinsplus2more. Now, if a parent has to be to work very early that's one thing BUT, having raised 4 sons to adulthood and having seen countless kids who were supposed to be at point A who would arrive at Point A from somewhere else obviously drunk or high and then picked up by non-parents I do not think it's a good idea. Parents should pick their children up and they should arrive EARLY so that they can be 100% certain that their children were where they were supposed to be. If they DO use a taxi service to have their children picked up are they awake to just give their child a once over to make sure they haven't been drinking or smoking weed or is the child coming home to a dark house after being picked up a non-parent? To me, that is also not very responsible. Even good kids will test fate if they know their parents won't be picking them OR seeing them when they get home.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:40 PM on May. 30, 2011