How much freedom did you have as a teen?

Was it too much, or too little? Were you out of control or fun within moderation?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 11:46 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, I guess I didn't know about moderation or was just bad at getting caught, so some of my freedome was limited due to multiple groundings! -lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:58 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I grew up in the 1950's when life was quite uncomplicated and simple.I went to school, spent most of my time home with my family and dated occasionally (boys who were actually more like friends than dates) I did not have access to a car. Once in a while a few of my friends and I would go to a movie or take a bus downtwn to shop. At the time I felt that I didn't need "freedom"....and I didn't feel limited.
    I think I was overprotected now that I look back. But at the time, I was happy and didn't get into any trouble!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My mom and dad were in the middle of a divorce... My mom is the perfect example of how NOT to go through a divorce. All parenting went out the window. I lied my ass off and she never followed up. I made the worse choices and she never knew.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I had all the freedom in the world. It was encouraged as long as I kept my grades up and was trustworthy. At 13 I was riding my bike to watch movies and window shop. I rode my bike all over Chicago. At 16 my dad showed me how to get downtown on the L and I spent whole days just wandering around. I had no cell, my parents rarely knew where I was but they trusted me. I had no curfew, slept over at the house of this guy I liked (his parents were home and I slept in his sister's room with her), and could do whatever I wanted. I was a good kid. I never went to a single party, only drank at family functions, never snuck out, never got into trouble, lost my virginity in college, have never done drugs or smoked ever.
    My freedom was just right for me. My parents trusted me explicitly and I didn't want to disappoint them so I always behaved.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I didn't have very much freedom. When I was 16 I wrked 40+ hrs a wk. I was trying to help my mom support our family after my dad lost his job. So it was just me and mom supporting my dad, my 22 yo bro, my 14 yo sis. I was giving my parents $800 or more a month. Yea I knw it sounds insane that a 16 yo would make that much money.But I had a manager position and I was wrking allot of hrs.
    Anyways for the freedom. My curfew was always 10 and that sucked. The latest I came home was like 2 and that got me grounded and I couldn't see my BF for weeks. So I would ditch school. My BF was allowed to come over but we had to be with in my parents view.
    I made a lot of stupid choices cuz I wasn't allowed to do much. When my parents didn't let me go out on a school night with my BF I snuck out and then got beat right in front of my BF when I got home.
    My parents were really strict with me and the complete opposite with my lil sis.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 12:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I had just the right amount of freedom. I never felt like I was being controlled, but I did what I wanted when I wanted. I was a good kid though for the most part and there was only one time when I screwed up badly. I didn't give my parents any reason to not trust me, so they did.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Too little freedom and it caused me to sneak out, start drinking young, and everything else. I did whatever I could to rebel against my parents. I think if they wouldve given me a little more freedom then I wouldnt of done half the things I did and I wouldnt of just got up and left the second I turned 18.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:19 PM on May. 30, 2011

• well during my teenage years my dad was gone and my only brother who was still living at home was like a drill sergant... (He's a sergant in the army for real too) So it was pretty strict
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 12:30 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My father was VERY strict. I went to school and I came home...period. There were no friends, no going out, no sports, no dances, nothing. I did NOT sneak out, I did NOT break his rules because on top of being strict my dad was also very abusive and I walked on egg shells never knowing if while following the rules I'd accidentally break a little one that could be almost fatal. At 17 I moved in with my mom who had virtually no rules...her goal was to be our friend. While living with her I started smoking pot, became sexually active and was a little wild. I went from one extreme to another.
    Anonymous

• I had too little freedom. As a result I wound up getting kicked out at 18 because I no longer wanted to go to Church with my Mom and then joined the military which also was a no no and my Mother stopped talking to me. I was allowed no friends or extra curricular activities. It made the teenage years very depressing and I hope to find something not quite as extreme with my kids but also not to go the opposite route with no rules.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:45 PM on May. 30, 2011