My puppy has worms

I took him to the vet and he's on worm meds. How long does it usually take for them to poop all the worms out? He is eating a little and drinking alot, and pooping out a whole bunch of worms. I forgot to ask the vet, but how much longer til he's 100%? '*fyi the ppl i got him from said 4 pups from his litter died from the worms* oh and it's roundworms not hookworms

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Pets

• normally they are supposed be fine after one week, I suggest buying the cheap brand of round worm killer from walmart, they work believe it or not, but I noticed that you took the puppy to vet. I hope that worksalso, try giving him a little bit of garlic in his food, does wonders for fleas, they hate garlic. I know its totally off the subject but I thought I'd throw that in there. I have had many animals and I worked for a farm, with all kinds of animals from a-z and a lot of them were sick, so I learned quite a bit.. Good Luck with your new addition.. keep me informed.
    Debs
    pook003

Answer by pook003 at 12:21 PM on May. 30, 2011

• you will treat again in 3 weeks and 3 months. He should start feeling better with a week or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Poor baby! He should be feeling better, be careful to wash your hands after touching him,, PP is right!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

• yeah i put garlic in his food, i know he got the worms either from nursing or inutero but fleas can cause roundworms too if ingested...thanks pook :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Just follow dr. s orders and all will be fine all you need is time... GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• fleas can cause roundworms too

fleas cause tape worms. Rounds worms and hook worms are common puppy parasites ans they can come form nursing. An older dog can fight off a small infestation better than a puppy. Rounds and hooks are both environmental meaning they can live in the dirt. A dog can step in it lick his foot and have them. Hooks and worms are both zoonotic meaning they can pass from dog to human in the same manner. Children are more pron than adults but again you would have to eat infected stool so good hygiene can prevent spread. Because of the worm life cycle there will be another hatch out you will also need to treat before they are gone I am sure your vet instructed you on that. As far as feeling better. It can take up to a week depending on how bad the infestation was. Good luck! and congrats on taking good care of your new puppy!
    Anonymous

• Good luck with your puppy,let me know.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:45 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Dogs only die if they r left untreated.
    dancer