How would you deal with your baby having a severe milk and soy allergy?

Shelby_P

Asked by Shelby_P at 12:22 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• well I breastfeed so I would cut out dairy & soy from my diet. My youngest is allergic to dairy, gluten, eggs, and cane sugar so I eliminated them from my diet

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:25 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If you are not breastfeeding, then you get an elemental formula that is free of soy & dairy. If you are breastfeeding, then you do as stated by Lynette.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:42 PM on May. 30, 2011

• if you're using formula they have a hypo-allergenic formula that works well. i was not able to remedy my son's milk sensitivity by cutting dairy out of my diet so i had to stop breast feeding him and give him that instead.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:09 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't know, but I would ask my doctor what to feed him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:23 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I took them out of my diet. It was a pain, I made a couple mistakes that led to a day or 2 of near-constant crying, I was left out of most activities at my husband's family, since they made almost no food I could eat. Clearly, I still resent it. But I did it. Now, hers seemed severe at the time because of all the crying and presence of blood in the stool, but she got over it, so maybe it wasn't that bad?

I read every label on every prepared product (not easy while shopping with 3 kids, 4 and under). We are out and travel a lot, long days all day in the car, so I knew lots of restaurants, what they had for me and her on their menu that was OK. Had their ingredient lists almost memorised. It was a pain, but it got easier. You learn fast.

We tried nutramigin just to give her a break because it takes 2-3 weeks to get the milk/soy proteins out of your milk, but she wouldn't take it. Expensive!

It is doable, fairly common now.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:20 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You'll have to take it out of your diet.
    malexander2009

Answer by malexander2009 at 4:47 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Id just do what I had to do to make sure my child was healthy.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 7:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• They make soy and dairy free milk...maybe rice?
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• What specifically are you wanting to know? My son has a milk and soy allergy and is on a prescription amino-acid based medical food formula as a replacement and we keep all milk soy and gluten (he has celiacs too) out of his diet. Once you learn all the hidden identities and where they are in fod you learn quickly to stay away from certain items. The best thing to do is cook from scratch and FRESH FRESH FRESH!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 12:58 AM on May. 31, 2011

• they do make rice milk
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 8:49 AM on May. 31, 2011