Parents that dont use sunscreens, cause the WANT their kids to get dark

Know any moms like this? I do. She didnt even buy a single bottle of sunscreen last year, claiming, " oh she tans well, she dosnt burn, so she dosnt need it" Uhmmm hello, your kids skin is still being damaged!! I cant stand ignorant people, you would think with how much worse the sun is these days, people would know better.

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 1:01 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• My sister tans dark too and now she has skin cancer!!! Tell your friend to stop being stupid!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My kids all tan with or without it. We usually use it just because I dont want anyones skin to dry out or what have you. I have no beef with how other people choose to raise their children. I have more of a beef when I see people complain about what another mom does or does not do.
    Anonymous

• i don't really put sunscreen on my kids unless we're going to the beach or somewhere that they will be in the sun for hours on end. it's not really an issue imo.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I put sunblock on my son, but not everytime we go outside. You can see my pic, I have a caramel mocha color, and now my son is my same color, we get extra sun protection just for having darker skin, that is a fact. Plus the doctor said being outisde with out sunblock, up to a half hour is okay, there is a vit. D deficiency in America because of the over usage of sunblock. You get vitamin D from the sun, and sunblock blocks that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I have never worn sunblock, my mother is a stickler about it when the kids are with her, but I never think that as an African american I need it, so I don't put it on the kids. We don't get a crazy amount of sun anyway.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:10 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes, a half hour a day is not a big deal, but all summer? beach, pool, outside all day type thing??? That is what I mean.
    minimo77

Comment by minimo77 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Not many parents are well informed about health issues. Some may know the facts and not want to bother (how many children get to breastfeed until they are 2?). In our state only one semester of health was required to graduate from high school. Most people don't have to take health to get a college degree.

I just had surgery for skin cancer on my face. Most skin cancer isn't that big of a deal. The surgery took about 10 minutes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Even when wearing sunblock you still tan. That is extreamly rediculous for her to say that she doesn't need to apply it. Children need their skin protected. Tell her sunscreen is not only to prevent from burning.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My kids are very fair skinned. If we are going to be out for longer than 30 minutes in the heat of the day, between 10am and 5pm, they wear sunscreen and a hat. But if we are going outside to play in the yard or going to the park near our house, we don't put it on because it is mostly shaded.
    Kids need some sun exposure, but if I didn't put sunscreen on all summer, my kids would be crispy critters.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• They use block and have since they were little but they still get dark.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:27 PM on May. 30, 2011