Speech problem in 6 year old question

There is a boy down the street who ds plays with sometimes, and he seems to be a nice enough kid most of the time...however he talks like a 2 year old...meaning very hard to understand what he is saying, the real baby ish sounding accent type thing. It dosnt help either that he is twice the size of any of the other kids... I know some kids at that age still sound cute ish little voices, but this is way worse than anything I've heard. DS has to ask him what he is saying half the time. He is in Kindergarten(not in ds class) and is in trouble alot at school, gets mad easy. I know his mom, but this isnt something that I would bring up, weather or not he has an actual problem or if he is just way behind....anyhow is that normal for this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It can be normal. My kids talked very babtyish until around 6. I'm sure the school has noticed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:12 PM on May. 30, 2011

• he probably goes to speech therapy at school. it's not a big deal. he could also have other problems that are causing his delay. again, not a big deal. if your kid likes playing with him and he behaves himself i don't see the issue.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• my bet ,he is in speech. the temper thing fits for when a child has a hard time getting people to understand him. We have gone through this with our middle child, he's 5

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:29 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Every child is different. As long as your son likes playing with him it can only help them both. Your son can learn patience and how to be a good friend and he can probably learn better communication from your son.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:43 PM on May. 30, 2011

• my son was diagnosed with a severe speech problem before kindergarten and i can relate to that little boy. Yes he has a speech problem and he probably gets help for it at school and could have been held back because of it. my son was held back 2 years before he had to go to kindergarten because of how badly his speech was. His mom probably doesnt notice it and can understand him because everyone close to him could understand mine but strangers couldnt for the life of him. To this day, his voice it in higher pitch then anyone elses also.

Mine gets angry easily too but idk if its anything related to his speech.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Sounds like there is something wrong, hopefully he is getting therapies.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• you'd think the speach therapist at school would have gotten in touch with his parents.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think its somewhat normal;
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It may be normal but I would let the school and the mom handle it. She has to know something is up with him.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No, but if there is a problem, the school will pick up on it.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2011