Ok so I'm in a relationship with a guy who has a child I asked him my boundaries with her and he said to just be her friend she is 2 how do I do this ?

We are engaged

Jannanet1

Asked by Jannanet1 at 1:55 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to me, he meant that you shouldnt act upon or do as much like a parent would like punishing her (sending her to her room, timeout, ect), just be nice and if anything bad occurs then go to him about it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:01 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Don't treat her like your daughter but rather as you would treat one of your kid's friends or the child of one of your friends, which is who she is. For now anyway.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 2:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• .. Its not that hard. Just be sweet and kind to his kid like you would any other kid. Dont force yourself on her. If something were to happen and you two got to attached breaking up would be even harder because youre breaking a lil girls heart too. Suggest to take the little one to the park or something.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 2:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Honeslty if you haven't been dating very long, I don't think you should be around her very much, it is really painful for kids to have someone come in their life and then go,, I agree with October, treat her as you would a friend's child, but be sure before you get too close your in this for the long haul. (for her sake).
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Treat her like you would treat any child
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 2:06 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I take that to mean he wants you to be nice to her, and slowly get to know her. Don't push yourself on her, let her get used to you. You could try making friends with her by showing an interest in what she does, read to her, play toys with her, get down on her level and interact with her. I would also suggest leaving the 'parenting stuff' (like enforcing rules, discipline) up to dad.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

• just be friendly with her, help your SO out with her if he needs like with diaper changes, changing her clothes, feeding her. also, teach her as you play with her & show her your her friend & that she can trust you... she will eventually warm up to you & know she can trust you & you'll be there & it will also show your SO that you care & your making the effort with her.
    ZoeyMariah.

Answer by ZoeyMariah. at 2:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Thanks it's all good advice but we r engaged so then what
    Jannanet1

Comment by Jannanet1 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on May. 30, 2011