Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How to get child support, legal rights, uhh idk what to do!?

My ex and i split in jan. he attempted suicide last month and straight out told me it was to get my attention and hurt me. I live a couple blocks from him and now i dont feel safe. if he would go to that extreme to hurt me what else could he do? Well he is just now getting into a job but his hospital bills were 23,000 dollars. So now he is saying he can't pay me child support and that he shouldn't have to anyways (which he never has). Oh well money is money, whatever but today I asked him his schedule for therapy and he said he isn't going! I told him straight out I don't feel comfortable with our daughter being in his care if he isn't going to therapy and he freaked out and said I can't hold her from him and that he doesn't need therapy.
I don't know what to do or where to start.
I need to figure out how to legally do child support so there is no if ands or buts about it. I need to figure out if there is a way to make him go to therapy and if there is a way to not let him at our daughter if he isn't going to therapy. And I also need to know if there is a way to get out of a lease without having to pay a fortune when i'm living 2 blocks away from someone i am scared of.
Any help?

Answer Question

Asked by dbodani at 2:02 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 15 (1,925 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Child support and child custody are two separate things - but you need to file for both! Generally there have to be extreme cases for the judge not to grant visitation to the father, but you might could get supervised. I don't know about getting out of the lease.

    Answer by missanc at 2:06 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • Contact a family law attorney and your local couty offices ( Child Support) , The county can set up childsupport payments set up and an attorney can hopefullly answer the rest of your questions.

    Answer by LeJane at 2:09 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • Walk into a government building,like a WIC office, and tell the receptionist you are in a bad situation and you need help. They have lists of the numbers you need and can get you a case worker to help guide you to keeping your baby safe.

    Answer by cueballsmom at 2:33 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • If it were me, I would first get a restraining order! Not only do you need one to help protect yourself but it would look better when you go to court. Next I would contact Legal aid and find out how you go about this. Legal aid or call your local child support enforcement. I'm pretty sure they can direct you to the right people. Next I would call your landlord and explain your situation, see if there's something you can work out. Maybe he or she would go ahead and advertise the place for rent and you could stay there until they find someone else. That way they wont be out any money. Since there isn't any visitation schedule carved in stone, I would avoid letting your x see your child, make excuses whatever you have to do! Good luck to you!


    Answer by anichols1 at 3:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.