Why do people think they have the right to give you their opinion when you dont ask for it?

Ok maybe not so much an opinion, but to make their opinion known or be snarky. I am not talking friends or family but perfect strangers? I never go to thrift stores but decided today I would see what all they have. I have seen some moms here post they can find cheap jeans or shorts for their kids and with summer coming I figured why not? I go to Goodwill and I find the kids section. I cant find anything for my ds and that is fine since childrens place is having a killer sale ($5 shorts), so I start looking for dd whose 6 yrs old.

I was able to find a couple cute jean shorts. Mind you they arent all that revealing, she is 6, so you get the idea. They really dont make anything too "sexy" in that age range. I pick up the shorts and one V neck shirt and head to the register. While making my way I hear an elderly lady complaining about todays fashions, and how she refuses to purchase short shorts for her granddaughters. How she feels they should be modest but still look nice etc etc. The clerk was agreeing with her and saying how some people dress their kids wrong, and blah blah.
So here I go with my jean shorts and V-neck shirt. And she says "OH MY GOD please tell me these are not from the kids section?" I replied, they are, they are jean shorts and a Tshirt why? She didnt say anything but was obviously making a snotty face and said it all snarky. I told her really I just thought they were cute, and anyone who finds a 6 yr old sexy or appealing in jean shorts and a tshirt probably has bigger problems then anyone I know.
Anyway ugh end of rant. I think I am going to stick to dept stores.

Asked by gemgem at 3:10 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I totally get what you are saying. Some people just have too much time on their hands and are way too nosy. Probably have nothing interesting going on in their own lives so they have to put other people down. Probably a self-confidence thing.
    My girls shorts are probably too "short" for most people's tastes. That's their problem, not mine. I think they look cute. And like you said, if grown adults find a 7yo sexy because of the shorts she wears than it's the adult that has a problem.
    And Goodwill is awesome. I buy all my kids' jeans there. $5 each for name brand that I could never in a million years afford from a regular store.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:44 PM on May. 30, 2011

• i think alot of kids shorts are too short but your right. it is none of their business and the fact that they said something is rude and unacceptable. but remember, it is a free country. you want censorship go to india. If i want to tell someone that theyre smoking near my car is nasty and gross im going to do it because it impacts my health and my kids but since shorts arent hurting anyone i dont see why they had to say anything kwim?
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 3:30 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with them and it has nothing to do with it being a thrift store. My granddaughter is 8. For 2 yrs now I have been unable to find any short except bermuda shorts that are acceptable. They are cut so short if she sits 'idian' style the crotch of her panties show. If she bends over you can see where her hiney meets the back of her thigh. My husband had a fit when He saw how short they were. WE don't see them as 'sexy' only unacceptable. We also do not allow her to wear halter tops for the same reason. Her swimsuit must be one piece or a tankini. It is about teaching her modesty. Not well that's how they are making them so that is what I'lll buy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:19 PM on May. 30, 2011

• And thats fine for you but none of anyone elses business as to what I choose to purchase with my money. That is my point. It would be like me coming up to you and saying your choices are wrong.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 3:23 PM on May. 30, 2011

• TY and that was my point. I mean I dont comment on peoples choices when they wear something I would never be caught in. I figure they like it, they are comfy and who am I to tell them it looks bad or I wouldnt choose it? I also have 5 kids ranging from 22 to 6 yrs old and have been choosing clothes for kids for awhile. My dh would never allow my dd to go to school in anything he didnt approve. Shoot he has a hard enough time with her cheerleading outfit lol.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 3:37 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You get people like that in Department stores too.

Anonymous

• Ive never had an issue in a dept store where they are trained in customer service and usually get commission.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 3:46 PM on May. 30, 2011