How do I deal with a little smarty pants?

My daughter is going to be five years old and lately she has been a big smart mouth. I feel she is testing me and my dh. She answers back, is a little know it all and has become very bossy. She is our first child and I worry she has signs of only child syndrom already. Not sure how to get her to stop being a smart a#$, any suggestions? Thanks.

Lisa0626

Asked by Lisa0626 at 3:27 PM on May. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stay on her, every time she responds sarcastically or gets bossy, say something! Tell her, this is the correct way to answer my question, and tell her the correct way. If she sees it's not getting it with you, it will slowly go away. I think all kids test the waters at some point, you just have to show them it's not gonna get it!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 4:00 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I think you and your husband are going to have to sit down and figure out what you will and will not tolerate, then enforce in a uniform front...and consistently.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My daughter was the same way,we set her down and told her the right and wrong was you should speak to people. We told he that if she was going to keep being that way she would get in trouble, so when she started being a smarty pants we would give her a warning and let her know what was wrong with what she said and if it happend again she would get put on her bed. she has since stopped.
    erica0508

Answer by erica0508 at 4:41 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I'm with PP teach correct response, tell consequence then follow through. To make you feel better its an EVERY KID syndrom, not just only child. On the personal, I noticed the same last summer when I had relaxed TV rules to allow some "tween" shows, iCarly (which yes I like), Wizards, and Suite Life... I cut those shows out and attitudes improved.
    Not that they don't test and go through regression phases.... but just be consistent and its like every other phase.
    GL.... cause its one of my least fav.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes, also agree with pps. Take away something she really loves as punishment, for some that may be tv or movies, games, etc (stick). Time outs are sometimes still effective with that age (they are with mine), but not always. Also offering a reward (carrot) for good behavior/behavior you expect can also help. Some kids respond better to carrots than sticks.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 10:54 PM on May. 30, 2011