What do I do???

We live with my bf's family. They have a almost 3 yr old, who isjeoulos of my almost 1 yr old. He tries to do stuff like sit on her and drag her around. She's walking and hates toehold anyoneses hand. He even thinks she's a doll and tries to pop her head off. Many times he will shut her in a room. I'm not sure how to handle him when his parents are around. I don't want to overstep any parenting boundaries.

Lana618

Asked by Lana618 at 3:29 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• talk to you bf parents about thst. Its not right behavior and thay should see it too.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:31 PM on May. 30, 2011

• you have every right to protect your child. Nice but firmly tell him he is hurting her and he needs to keep his body to himself. (this means hands, feet, mouth, behind...) If the issue continues I would pick up my child and find his his parent and let them know he is being a little rough and hurting the baby and that you could use some assistance in getting him to settle down so everyone can stay safe.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:33 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You mean the parents of the three year old don't explain to him that she's not a toy and should not be treated that way? You should have a talk with them, and when he is doing things like that you should explain to him that it's not nice to do treat someone else that way. Make sure you come down to his level so you don't intimidate him. I can understand that he is only three and understandibly jealous, but he is old enough for a parent or guardian to explain things to him. How else will a child learn empathy if no one explains how what he does is hurtful to someone else. Good luck.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:37 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Talk to them, you need to protect your daughter make sure every time he does something like that point it out to his parents. And ask if they plan on doing something about it. I know as a parent I would want someone to tell me if either of my DD's were being mean like that. Maybe put him in a time out of they aren't around, tell him you can't do this she is only a baby you need to be nice! Sounds like his parents need to step up and kick some butt not literally but dish out punishments for this bratty kid.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 3:37 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would use the talking about it with the little boy first. Try to make him feel like the big boy that has to help you protect the baby. Get him on your side first then when you tell him something he will listen. Make him feel so important when he does something good make a big deal about it. When he is mean, Tell him that was not nice and you know he is a nice boy, Get him to agree with you that he is nice and good. Never tell him he is bad, because if you do he will be bad. I hope this will help.
    Patricia K.

Answer by Patricia K. at 3:47 PM on May. 30, 2011

• All of these answers are helpful. His parents occasionally do time outs and they spank but they don't explain y it's wrong to do what he does. He gets away with a bunch of things and whenever myself or my bf babysits we do time outs, but he's usually pretty good for us.
    Lana618

Comment by Lana618 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on May. 30, 2011