Paxil and Pregnancy

I have looked it up and its says not to take it during the 1st trimester, but that the benefits can out way the risks, what I am to do? I get to see my OBGYN on Wednesday for the 1st time, I am only 4 weeks 3 days pregnant.

Jssg1986

Asked by Jssg1986 at 4:01 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I hear its Bad To take .. But im not to sure
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 4:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• It has been shown to cause heart in babies. I found out I was pregnant and got off of Paxil, but omg that was the worst experience in my life. It scared me from taking any other medicines. I was dizzy and nauseous and got those electric zaps yay withdrawals. I personally say this is your choice. If you feel that the benefits outweigh the risks then go for it :) if you decide to stop taking your meds, I'm here for some support :) congrats on your pregnancy :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Talk to your OB about switching to an TCA or Wellbutrin. Paxil, Celexa, Fluorine derived antidepressants, and MAOI's all have demonstrated risks.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 4:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• The FDA warns that you cannot abruptly stop Paxil use without consulting your doctor first. You may experience a relapse of your depression and your fetus may also experience Paxil withdrawal symptoms. I think you should call up your doctor for an earlier appointment. Birth defects are mostly the reason for most lawsuits against Paxil.

Josephine143

Answer by Josephine143 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2012