Clusters of spots

My DS who is 10 months old is breaking out in clusters of bright red spots in his diaper area and he has some light ones on his face and legs that are more spread out.
He has had this before a few times and the doctor couldn't help us much. She just said that it was either eczema or a virus and sent us home with some eucerin samples.But since it happens over and over again it doesn't sound like a virus.

Has anybody else seen this kind of thing on their children? What was it caused by if you know? What worked to get rid of it? Do you think this might be a reason to go back to the doctor?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:03 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say it is time for the dermatologist, sorry that would be my next move with an infant with a rash.

But what are you washing his clothes with? I would try using one of those "free" detergents that are non-allergenic. Same with whatever you are washing *him* with. Forget the baby wash, it's time to find something really gentle, and I would recommend the Purpose brand of soap, or something organic with as little ingredients as possible and no sodium lauryl sulfate. Look at his lotions, etc. Anything touching his skin. Are you using disposable diapers? He could be allergic to those. Change only one thing at a time, or you won't know what is causing the rash.

If that doesn't work, you may have to look at what he is eating, if he is on soft/baby foods. Good luck mama! PS take pics of the spots to take to the doctor in case they go away before appointment.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 4:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If it is eczema it could be triggered by specific foods, heat or even detergents or soaps. You could try an elimination process to find out what is causing it. My DD has eczema and some issues are caused by food and others by hear and soap. I know what our problems are and try to avoid them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:59 PM on May. 30, 2011

• sounds like yeast.
    brookemhowell

Answer by brookemhowell at 5:56 PM on May. 30, 2011