Bedroom theme for 11 yr old boy

I have gone ahead and started getting one of the teenagers rooms ready for my 11 yr old to move into. My house is set up so the older kids live upstairs and smaller kids downstairs by me and my dh's room. We feel it is time for the 11 yr old to go upstairs (we have 2 empty rooms with 2 teens now on their own). But I want to make it a surprise and need some theme ideas.
I was thinking a beach theme? He can personalize it from there. He also is into video games. He likes Baseball as well. He likes the ocean and fish (thus the beach theme). I want to stay away from childish things since this room will grow with him until he is 18 and moves out.
Any suggestions?

Asked by gemgem at 4:31 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• How about a teen cave.. like a gamer theme? they have psters of different games and stuff i think its poster revolution? I know my dh would have loved a gamers room.you can get those gamer chair. you can do a wall with the calk paint so him and his friend can write things on

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 4:49 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Go nuteral to start...paint the walls a solid color and take him with you to go shopping for his bedding and stuff...that's usually best...kids tastes change sooo much through the teen yrs. something I'm sure you know by now. I would do patterns...like stripes,plaid,circles...those are timeless and will "grow" with him.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Why don't you make the surprise your telling him about the project and do it together? Kids are so creative, he will come up with something better than you could have dreamed up!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 4:46 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Whats his favorite basketball team? Does he like the beach more than the basketball? Since u want to surprise him dont take him with you shopping...Jut get some ideas from him without him knowing
    Esam

Answer by Esam at 4:40 PM on May. 30, 2011

• No he isnt into sports. He is very smart, glasses, kinda nerdy, book worm, you get the picture. He does like the Carolina Panthers but I dont know if he likes them enough to do a bedroom in that theme. He does love the ocean, aquariums, and all that.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 4:43 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Oh thats cool. The upstairs is a teen cave already with neon lights, game room etc. That would go really well.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 4:55 PM on May. 30, 2011