My boss fired me via text message.. Legal Help Please?

And not only did he do it thru text message- I did not violate anything in the employee contract which I signed prior to working there. I had one tardy documented, you are supposed to have THREE before you are considered for termination.

I have A LOT more issues with this employer; for example, my W2's were completely wrong. They said I made a THIRD of what I really made. I think he was falsifying the W2s for his own benefit.

He never paid my Overtime, even when I was working 98 hours biweekly. I kept reminding him, but he kept "forgetting".

As an assistant manager- I had coworkers threaten me (they did not get fired) and also a male employee who I had JUST met that day commenting on boobs (again, not fired. verbal warning).

Yet I get fired for this? What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• what did you work in.....sometimes you do not have to have three documented if the company is at will they could fire you at any time
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 5:01 PM on May. 30, 2011

• BTW the "reasoning" for my firing was because I woke up, got in my truck and could barely get it to sputter up the hill. I called into the business, talked to the manager on duty and told her I might be a NO SHOW because of my truck having problems. She calls the boss and tells him I was a no call no show. How am I a no call when I JUST called in? I have documents proving it too.

When I talked to my boss he said I voluntarily resigned. It sounded like he was trying to save his @$$ from taking another employees words before talking to me first. He didnt even CALL to see what was up, I got "To make it clear, your last day was yesterday. Hand in your keys immediately." Um, that sounds like I was FIRED.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• oh totally burn him. you have grounds for some serious legal battles!!! look up what you need to do and do it!!!!! as soon as possible too
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 5:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Get a hold of an attorney consultations are free.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• "what did you work in.....sometimes you do not have to have three documented if the company is at will they could fire you at any time"

There was an employee contract which I signed that stated there must be THREE documents of tardiness before consideration of termination.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• is there an HR or someothe type of reasource you could go to because that is NOT acceptable!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would call a lawyer tommorow, sounds like you might have a case, and they will take your case for free unitl settlement until you settle, if they think yours has merit,, the only thing is how long did you work there? Less than 3 months might be an issue,, good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I worked there before the place even opened. It wouldve been two years in November.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If you want to pursue a claim, you need to get your documentation together and get a consulation with a employment law attorney in your state. get your W2's and your bank statments, or check stubs, whatever you have to document the discrepancy. in FL, the overtime deal falls under wage and hour, which you can pursue without an attorney. but if you were an assistant manager, were you on salary? salaried employees are often exempt from overtime.... in many states.

Frankly, IMO, file for unemployment, appeal if you have to, and be glad that you do not work there anymore. It sounds like a hell hole and your boss is an asshat. You are better off, and there's got to be a better job out there. Whatever you do, don't start bad-mouthing him everywhere, it could come back to bite you! I mean, in interviews. Be upfront about why you were fired, I'm sure other employers know he's a jerk. Just don't *you* say it. Good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I visited Unemployment the day I got laid off. He gave me a lot of numbers to call, but I dont know who works for Labor Laws in this state because they SUCK at answering and returning phone calls.

I also left a personal friend of mine who is a lawyer (but not for this field) to help me with recommendations for a lawyer who can help.

I'm glad to know taking it to another level isnt just me being "crazy". I know I have been wrongfully taken advantage of, pay wise, and in this situation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on May. 30, 2011