Should I do this to make her feel better?

Hey,
I asked this yesterday but didn't get many responses so I figured I'll try again.

My 8 year old daughter (i am 25) has serious medical problems involving going to the bathroom - she's totally incontinent and also has little to no bladder control. Basically she goes to the bathroom the moment she senses the need...she can't hold it. Obviously this creates lots of problems on trips/etc. 

Me and her are going to be going on a very long, 10 hour car trip together...so of course she is going to be in trouble bathroom-wise. She will be wearing diapers and using them throughout the trip, because there's just no other way. I know having to use diapers/etc makes her really, really embarrassed, so I have an idea. Even though I have no trouble holding it and going to the bathroom, perhaps I could wear a diaper and use it just like her? Then she would feel better im sure if an adult like her mother was using a diaper too. 

What do you guys think? I think it would make her feel more "normal." What I would probably do is use the bathroom on designated food/gas stops, but otherwise make no special stops for me to go to the bathroom..and just use the diaper when I need to. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• you could try a large pad instead of a diaper.
    CristaJordan

Answer by CristaJordan at 6:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Would that work OK if I end up peeing/maybe pooping in my pants? Because if I do this I don't plan on stopping often since we won't be making special stops for the bathroom. So I could very well end up doing both in my clothes...will that hold up?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• No, No and NO! Do not wear a diaper yourself. You child is old enough to understand she is ill and that she's not like the other kids. It's heartbreaking and I understand your desperation to help her feel better. Instead, focus on educating yourself by finding support groups and talking to your child's doctor for suggestions to enable your daughter to deal with her illness with dignity. Your main job is to take care of her, protect her, and love her unconditionally. Make sure you reassure her of all those things: " I love you no matter what. Mom is going to take care of you and protect you. Don't worry." As for your road trip, take any and all stops needed so you can clean her up immediately when she uses her diaper. You and are young mom to be going through such a difficult situation. My heart goes out to you and your child.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 8:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with LoveHerDad
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 9:34 PM on May. 30, 2011