How can I help my son with pain from staph infection?

We took our 1 yr old to the doc yesterday b/c he has a bump on his leg and 2 on his bottom that I knew right away were MRSA. They are and the doc ordered antibiotics and cream for him but they are getting worse faster than the meds can work! His pain is bad, when I hold him he cries b/c I am putting pressure on his sores, and it is almost impossible to change diapers without him screaming! I feel so bad for him but his doc said we caught it early and he will be fine with the meds, just wait for them to work! I'm rotating tylenol and motrin for his pain, but I had MRSA a while back & know the pain is almost untreatable even for the smallest of infections - I had to be prescribed something for my pain & it still didn't help much! I am doing everything I can to keep him happy & comfy until he heals but I don't know anything else I can do to help soothe him!

trixylynn

Asked by trixylynn at 10:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Health

• Our Dr. gave at the time 9 mo. old DD some tylenol3, you know the kodine kind just to alleviate it enough for her to just tolerate the pain. To me it sounds like he just might need to have something prescribed and they can do it if you are demanding enough that they get your child out of pain!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 10:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• They prescribed me a pain med when i had MRSA. But I had it in multiple spots. (I was a CNA and got it from a patient in the hospital.) Maybe call the doctor and see if they can give him something. Children's tylenol maybe?
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• There is prescription pain medication for children. Call the doctor back and demand it. A child being terrorized by pain is completely unacceptable. Turn on that "Momma Bear."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The Dr is working for you you should not have to beg for pain medication for your little one. There are pain meds for baby's and your baby needs it. when you cant even hold or cuddle your baby without crying in pain its time to take charge mum. You call that Dr. and tell him there is absolutely no reason that your baby should have to suffer and tell him you would like something called in for the baby for pain. I honestly believe that when pain is under control the body can heal quicker, the pain is one less thing for the body to have to deal with. I just thought of something. I wonder if you would be able to use a topical lidocaine I use it when I have my pain pump filled to numb the skin for the refill which is a huge needle stuck through my abdomen. It works great as I don't feel it at all. You might even be able to mix the cremes as the lidocaine creme would not interfere with the effects of the other creme.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 12:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Just an update -I took him back to the doc and she had to admit him to the hospital to have the infection cut out. He was there from last thurs - sun, he came home yesterday - Thank God! He was miserable in that hospital and he's so happy to be back home. He is doing great and is healing well! I still have issues with his doc and I'll be dealing with that. But thanks to all of you who answered - we did get his pain under control. Thank you all!
    trixylynn

Answer by trixylynn at 8:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2008