In your opinion, or from experience, what causes diets to fail?

Is it lack of support, or boredom? Both?

SherryMalcom

Asked by SherryMalcom at 5:21 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I think it's just a lack of knowledge.....in 2 ways. You need the knowledge to live a healthy lifestyle and not fall for fad diets, but change your way of life.

And knowledge that you are strong and CAN do this. So many times we set ourselves up to fail by thinking "It's too hard" "I'm too fat to do this" "I Don't like to sweat"....but if we have the simple truth that we are strong and capable of anything we put our minds to we can not only eat healthy all the time but workout and stick to it.

For the first time in my lifelong struggle I KNOW I will beat this. And that's why currently i'm at the smallest and healthiest i've been in my entire adult life! I'm halfway to my goal and I KNOW I will reach it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I know a ton of people that say their diet failed, but then come to find out they didn't stick to it. It's not easy to just change your lifestyle and/or eating habits all of a sudden. Easing into it, making a few changes here and there is much more successful than just waking up one day and trying to stick to something.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:29 PM on May. 30, 2011

• People want there to be some easy or miraculous formula. There isn't. Deny your desires for junk. Make the healthiest choice you can under the circumstance - one good choice at a time. MOVE...don't just sit around - AND there you go!
    momversuswild

Answer by momversuswild at 5:31 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Sometimes people are working out eating right and they do not lose weight so being discouraged hurts you as well..
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:34 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Mine, is having kids still at home. I still cook.for them, they.still.want.their snacks and foods they like. I do great Mon - Fri. But fail on the weekends. Being home with all the temptations.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:44 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I think it's having unrealistic expectations. Shows like the Biggest Loser doesn't help. Healthy weightloss is 0.5-2 lbs a week. Yet there are tons of people out there getting discouraged if they don't lose at least 20 lbs a month. It's also a myth that bigger people lose faster than those with less to lose. While this may be true for many larger people, it's not true for all. This can be hard to take for those larger people who lose slowly. I also feel the idea that in order to be successful you have to give up all the 'good' stuff. I believe wholeheartedly in moderation and that to deny yourself a small portion of a craving is just setting yourself up for a binge and/or failure.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:59 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You guys are all awesome. Such great answers!
    SherryMalcom

Comment by SherryMalcom (original poster) at 6:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• They believe the diets (food) is the only thing they have to change. Many have that old school thinking that the less you eat, the more weight you will lose. My MIL is one of those. No matter how many times we have tried to explain to her that unless you are up moving around, you are not burning calories, she honestly believes that if she just eats less, the weight will go away.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I believe that it lies in the fact that people are not willing to change old habits. When I try to eat healthier I also still let myself enjoy some of my cravings just not all b/c i I deny them I will only stuff my face trying to fill that void which is unhealthy as well. I also make sure that I get in about 30 min of exercise a day on top of the 5 hours of walking at do at work. You have to exercise, eat less and make healthy choices. They all work hand in hand.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Good answers already. As someone who has worked with lots of women (mostly, a few men) trying to lose weight, I can tell you that yes, often times it is a lack of support (family wants to eat unhealthy, for example). Trying to lose weight/change lifestyle without getting the whole family involved is a recipe for disaster. And the sad part is that most of the time, the ENTIRE family can benefit from lifestyle changes. Obesity/overweight doesn't typically just impact 1 person in a family.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:24 PM on May. 30, 2011