Do you feed your kids everytime they say they are hungry?

For the most part we eat 3 meals and a snack and if they ask in between I will tell them to drink a big glass of water and let me know in 5 minutes if they are still hungry. If they say they are they can have something small. Or if it literally right after a meal I will tell them they aren't hungry they are bored and to go find something to do. Whats the rule at your house?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:55 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• My DD will tell me mid morning that she is hungry and it usually about 30-60 min until lunch and I tell her she needs to wait until lunch and to go play. We don't do snacks unless we are eating a VERY late dinner (after 7).
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If they say they are hungry, they really are. It's usually right before a meal, so I make them one. I don't hear it often.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes, unless it's within twenty minutes of our next meal.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If my kids are really hungry and it will be a while until dinner is ready, I'll give them baby carrots and dip or a banana to hold them over.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

• No, my son could eat all day if I let him. So no we just eat the 3 meals and 2 snacks.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:33 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My son eats his meals well but is still hungry throughout the day. He eats fruit for snacks and drinks water. He always eats what he asks for so I know that he is actually hungry. One hour before a meal is cut off time.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Small kids need snacks,their stomachs are pretty small, so if they eat breakfast at 7am, and eat lunch at 12, that is 5 hours! Way too long for a kid to have to wait. Anyhow, I will give mine snacks if its been awhile since the last meal, and if its a while before the next. If they just recently ate, (and finished) I do still, as if they are eatting well at meals and eatting snacks, they obviously need it.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My kids are "underweight" according to the doctors (rolls eyes) so I feel bad telling them no to food. If a meal is right around the corner, I make them wait, but if they are hungry after dinner or well between meals, I let them have something. My rule is "real food" not snacky garbage. They know they can pretty much always have a piece of fruit, leftovers, a sandwich, etc...chips and junkfood, not so much!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:47 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My rule is veggies or fruit only in betwen meals. If he is really hungry, then he'll eat that. I push water too. I don't let him fill up before dinner either, that's a recipe for disaster!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 6:53 PM on May. 30, 2011

• no mine would snack all day giben half the chance.
    MadreMas

Answer by MadreMas at 6:56 PM on May. 30, 2011