Does anyone have ANY tips on how to get a 6year old who has nightmares to stay in bed?

How do I get my daughter to stay asleep through the night?

happyathomemum

Asked by happyathomemum at 10:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you guys pray? You can tell her she can always talk to God when she wakes up scared like that, tell her fears to God and pray for his comfort, when I was little I had bad dreams a lot, when my parents told me that I was able to go back to sleep on my own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• are you a christian? (i am going somehwere with this if you are..) lol i'm not just asking for the heck of it. because when my little brother was younger... he had TERRIBLE nightmares. he also had alot of pokemon stuff in his room.. stuff that are kinda demonic.. i don't know if thats the right word or not.. but anyways he would wake up crying all the time he wasscared of his room. so my parents threw away the pokemon cards and prayed over his room... and the night mares stopped completely once they did that.

if your not.. then i don't know =D
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• do you have a night light in her room? that might help
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• sorry forgot something try putting a dream catcher in her room above her bed and tell her it will catch all the bad dreams it works for my kids
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• This may sound silly, but I put a small cup of sea salt under my girls bed, It worked, I like the dream catcher idea too..
    luvmygirls3

Answer by luvmygirls3 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• A steady routine in general, throughout the day, is very calming and relaxing for children. So bedtime routine should be calm and relaxing. A bath, a story, a few songs, cuddle, rubbing backs...and a set mantra said every night about protection and no bad dreams but invite the good fairies to visit your child's dreams. Then try to think about the stressors that may be causing the nightmares. We dream at night b/c our mind is still working and trying to reslove issues from our day - but it is done in the unconscious. Television, parents who argue, moving, adjustments, ect...can cause stress that come out at night. Again, a good solid routine helps eliminate some of that along with silly little poems and matras can help fill slumber with peace and lots of rest.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter had nightmares after she sneeked and watch like 10 min. of poltergiest. I'm not really sure what she saw but for a month she had nightmares at night, it was hard! So we played this cd she had at night with all these really happy songs (one of them was mary had a lil lamb and the abc song) and we played it on repeat all night and she was able to sleep without the nightmares. (its worth a shot or you could try to leave the t.v. on a cartoon or movie)
    ZoeEstellesMom

Answer by ZoeEstellesMom at 1:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2008