Just wondering how do you save money when there isn't anything left to save?

I am trying to get my checking account to a specific balance so that I don't always run it to zero. It is so difficult to save money when there doesn't seem to be anything left to save at the end of the day. I can see where I could cut back but then I would feel like I am depriving myself of things (I spent about $23.00 on myself in the last few weeks) and that would make me feel depressed that I can't do anything for myself. How do you all save money when there just doesn't seem to be much left at the end to save?

coala

Asked by coala at 5:59 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• We don't save a dime. We should; we should cancel cable, internet, cell phone, also buy generic everything, walk more often, but we don't do any of that. Therefore...we barely make it from month to month.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I have a second job just for that.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• o man good question.... i dont have any extra to save i live paycheck to paycheck.. i really hope in the coming months im able to save its important to have a lean on me money
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Very good question. My checkbook is ALWAYS in the negative. It didn't used to be but since hubby became disabled, it seems to be there all the time now. All the bills are paid and we have food, but there is nothing left over.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Cutting off cable tomorrow.Haven't bought anything for myself in a while. Gotta do what you gotta do. As long as you are comfortable where you are at, don't stress.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We just live paycheck to paycheck, saving would be nice, but I do still keep my cable/internet, both cell phones, and do extra stuff. I pay all my bills, but I just can't NOT do anything extra. Sometimes fun is needed.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Call around to all of your bills and see what they are willing to lower. Also, investigate the competitors. Often, if they know they are willing to lose you to a competitor offering a lower price, they will all of the sudden have a better deal available to you. My father just went from paying $90 for his cable and internet to paying $50 with a simple phone call to his provider letting them know that he was leaving to a company that had it for $55. All of the sudden it was "wait a minute, wait a minute, it looks like we might be able to get you a better deal".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:44 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Well cable is a good one to cut out, especially with inexpensive alternatives.....huluplus or netflicks where for less than $10 a month you can get a good deal of cable shows....non cable shows, most networks put up within a day or two of the episode airing, for free on their site. I make my own cleaner, laundry detergent and such...my laundry detergent costs about $3.25 a batch and lasts 6 months. I buy clothes at thrift stores and yard sales. I can't see spending more than $3 on a pair of jeans, lol....

Sometimes buying something for me is just a new $2 nail polish....I go to the library for dvd's, books, magazines and cd's or have "cheap date night" with DH and read them in B&N, take notes, drink a cup of coffee and go home.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:45 PM on May. 30, 2011

• pay yourself first. Every week fifty dollars comes out of our checking account automatically. I don't see the money I don't feel the loss of the money. Can't afford fifty? Try buying a roll of quarters and gradually increasing the amount you save.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 8:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Track your bills for 2-3 weeks, take notes on everything you spend, even on the $1.25 coffee you buy. You'll see objectively where you can cut and where you can continue to treat yourself. For example I used to buy coffee every morning and after lunch, about $2-3 per day, that's $15 per week. i decided to make coffee in the morning at home, and only buy the afternoon coffee. I saved $7.50 per week x 4 = $30 per month. You start little first, then gradually cut out other luxury items. Dare I say it? Skip vacation for 1 year. We did that one year and saved $5000 (big caveat, we resisted spending that money...it was difficult). Another idea, up your 401(k) savings. Have the company directly take it out of your paycheck, if you have that option. Good luck. It's not easy.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:57 PM on May. 30, 2011