If my SIL's neighbor calls the Health Dept on her,is it possible CPS will be called as well?

To put it bluntly,my SIL keeps a FILTHY house. At her old place,her neighbor called the Health Dept on her because the yard was absolutely covered in dog poop. When they got close and smelled the ammonia stench coming from inside,they just about flipped. At that time she had 11 cats and 2 large dogs. They found that her youngest child had fecal matter in his blood so he was breathing it in and possibly eating it as well! She was made to get rid of all but 2 cats and she kept the 2 dogs.
My BIL says that she once again is hoarding animals at her new place,a trailer. She has 4 cats,4 dogs,2 rabbits,2 guinea pigs,and fish. My BIL says the stench is back as well. I told him to call the Health dept anonymously. If he doesn't,someone else is sure to.
So if they have to come in again,would CPS be called? I haven't seen this 1st hand or I'd call myself.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:00 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• Where I live, the health dept. would be required to call CPS if it's unsafe and there are children living there.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes CPS will be called, they are required too. However it won't automatically mean their custody of their children is lost. They may be removed for a period of time until the situation is resolved but contrary to what some people might think CPS does not want to take kids and put them into foster care they WANT things to work with the parents. So they parents will be given a chance to correct the situation.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I think you should call them,, if you want go over there and knock on the door, but children do not deserve to live in this kind of enviroment, perhaps you should call the show, i see they have a help line, this is an illness, but one her children should not pay the price for.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• They would, why is your brother allowing this? I'm sure he doesn't want his kids taken away.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

• They are required to report. CPS will be called and very possibly children will be removed.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• IDK why CPS wasn't called the first time... sounds like she needs help! She should NOT have a child in that environment... for the health of the child!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would call for the saftey of the kids
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You should call CPS YOURSELF TODAY. Those poor kids having to live in shit.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:11 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I would think ifi t was an unsafe environment CPS would be called and they *may* loose custody until the house is in a livable condition and she seeks help for her hoarding , yes this can be caused by a psychological 'need' and this cna be treated with therapy. If it is not horrible they may let them keep the children as long as they comply with in a time frame and then continue to check up on them. If this is a real problem the children need to be taken care of even if that means removed for a little while. In the long run it sounds like the parents need help. That is what CPS tries to do. I understand they screw up but the goal is to help. If nothing else you or another family member would actually have the opportunity to foster if needed while she was being treated and the house cleaned up.
    Anonymous

• yes if were me i would call. the child is not safe living there..
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 8:39 PM on May. 30, 2011