For those of you who grew up with both parents...how would your life be different if your dad died

How would it have been if you never had that influence and just had your mom to raise you?

my dad died 35 years ago today and I was thinking of different I would have been if he would have been there for me co- parenting with my mom. I mean who would I have been if he would have been around?

so how much better off are you with having had a dad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• My dad died a week before I turned 16, but to be honest, my life would have been much better if he'd died sooner.

This question intrigues me. My husband died when our boys were 3.5 years old and 10 months old.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't know how different it would have been, but we almost lost our father when I was 9. He fell over board off the ship he was working on, He was almost lost at sea.
    But when he came home he had health problems which meant he could no longer work at sea.
    But as to how my life would have been different if he continued working at sea, 6 months to 1 year at a time, I would have grown up without a father in the home.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 6:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My dad was an alcoholic and if he's still alive, he probably still is. My life would have been dramatically better with him NOT in my life as a girl/young woman.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would not have been raised by a stay at home mom in a really nice neighborhood... I would have been just as loved and cared for but with less 'perks' for lack of a better word. I grew up the way I wish my kids could but I just can't make it happen. Having a lot when you grow up makes you feel very inadequate at times when you can't provide the same things for your own children.

As far as my relation ship with my dad. I barely knew him. He worked all the time to give me and my mom those extras. I can't say I would have been 'worse' off with out him. Just very different.
    Anonymous

• I don't think anyone can really answer this question well... you don't know how it would be different until you are living it. But, of course it would be drastically different. My Dad died when I was 22 (He was 44)... life got very different even at that age... If he was still alive he would have walked me down the isle when I got married, helped my hubby fix up our house, met his grandchildren, helped us berry his parents, shared in life in general... I was very close to my Dad. But, I can say all that b/c we are without him ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:10 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My father did nothing but hit us and when my parents got divorced he stopped showing up so it was just my mom he showed up to hit us and my mom was nasty because she had to take care of us.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My father was a crack addict. i can't really say how I would be today. i always try to look at the positive side of things. I grew up with him beating me and my mom, mom having to work three jobs because he would steal from her, having to live with my grandma sometimes just to away from him. All this made me who I am today. They way I lived back them made me stronger today. Without him and his ways there is no telling how I would be today.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 6:27 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My father is a damn good father who was willing to work his ass off for our family and to this day would do anything for us. We had a big family. 10 siblings in all, and even though he was always adequately prepared as far as insurance goes if we lost one of our parents, emotionally it would have been very difficult for my mother to manage us all by herself. I think he added structure and stability to our home.

My LP lost his father when he was 10 years old, and even though my MIL is wonderful, I know he feels like he missed out on all the learning opportunities he could have had with his father in his teen years.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:36 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Well, I think my life would be a little bit better financialy. He would help us if we needed anything. My kids would have a Grandpa who would be in their lives more than my father-in-law. They only come on the holidays. Even when they were little.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 6:50 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Sorry, forgot to mention my Dad died when I was 19.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 6:52 PM on May. 30, 2011