Do you make your 18 year old son tell you where they are going when they leave the house?

My son is a freshmen in college and lives home, whenever I ask him where he is going he refuses to tel me. Am I wrong for wanting to know where he is going?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• No he volunteers it
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My parents always told me as long as I am under their roof and not paying anything no matter want age they have the right to know everything (just about). GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• He is still under your roof, out of respect, he should be informing you where he is going. My 19 year old girl is very good about that ...now that we made that clear. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:21 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I expect everyone who walks out the door to say where they are going not just my 18 and 19 yr old daughters. It is just considerate to inform people your leaving and quikly say where to
    Anonymous

• Not even just that he is still under your roof, but what happens if you have an emergency and need to reach him? We make all of our kids tell us where they are going. And if they go somewhere else, we expect a phone call.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 6:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• When my kids are 18, and they keep leaving the house, I'll tell them they'd better come back and tell me they found a place to live. lol
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:32 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't think he owes you tiny details, but it should be a courtesy that he extends as a mature young man to let you know he's going to be out, and approximately when you might expect him home. Going out with friends, be home late tonight. How hard is that. If he changes his mind and isn't planning to come home, he could be courteous enough to send a text and say, change of plans. Be home tomorrow.

Any person who is acting like a responsible adult shouldn't really have a problem with that. You're not saying he has to ask for permission, but since he does live in your house, he shouldn't put you in a situation where you are going to worry. That's natural for a mom. If he can't handle that, then he should move out and live by himself, or with someone who doesn't care as much as you do.
    DarlaHood

Answer by DarlaHood at 6:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My 20 yr old son is a sphmore in college and he always tells me where he's going whether it's verbal or text. Sounds like an 18 yr old, lol Why do they have to be hot shots when they turn the magic age, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:40 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Well my 18yr old nephew who stays with me tends to tell me and my mother whenever he plans on going somewhere and what he will be doing. But if he didn't then I surely would ask.
    JalensMommy26

Answer by JalensMommy26 at 6:51 PM on May. 30, 2011

• House rules kick in big time when they turn 18!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:51 PM on May. 30, 2011