Do you call someone or something "gay" to be meant as an insult?

As if it's a bad thing to be gay? Does it make you mad when you hear someone use that term to be insulting?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 6:23 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yes it makes me mad
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes, it pisses me off when I hear others using that term to degrade anyone. It isn't a word I ever use. When I was growing up it had a WHOLE different meaning. To be “gay” was to be happy. My grandmother would use the word gay on many family members if they were happy :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:26 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I am a mom of teens...when I hear one of their friends say it I ask..."is it/he/she actually homosexual?" LOL embarrasses my kid but they get the message.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:27 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I never use it. I dont like it being used. My brother kept using the word retarded today and I spanked him for it. old him to watch his mouth.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I did when I was 9 or 10 and saw it in an old journal and it made me sick that I ever thought that way (I'm sure I had no idea what "gay" was at the time, in my defense). Needless to say, I don't do anything like that now and haven't for at least 25-30 years.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 6:31 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I understand that bad habits can be hard to kill, and it can be hard to watch your mouth. I don't find it insulting usually, unless the person saying it actually is anti-gay or homophobic, then anything negative they say towards/regarding LGBT individuals will be an insult to me. I definitely hate to hear faggot, retard, or racial/ethnic slurs. Those really get to me.
    MelodieLenora

Answer by MelodieLenora at 6:31 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I did growing up. Also queer, retard, fag, etc. Obviously I don't anymore.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:33 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Growing up saying something was gay was the equivalent of saying it was stupid. I had no idea what being gay meant until I hit teens. I don't say it anymore in that context.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• When I was in high school ... not anymore.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:41 PM on May. 30, 2011

• no, I don't think i ever did, one of my childhood friends was gay and we always knew it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:07 PM on May. 30, 2011