How do I treat the itchy scalp of my daughter who has been treated for lice?

Her head still itches from the lice even though I haven't seen anymore live ones.

kfinnelle

Asked by kfinnelle at 6:32 PM on May. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Use a metal lice comb every other day until you don't find any nits or bugs for a few days. I did this with my daughter for months. I did it right in the tub. She sat and played while I went through her hair. Each time took at least a half hour, sometimes longer. It really sucks. I kept finding them! She got it in August and we didn't get rid of it completely until after Christmas. Now I use tea tree oil on her hair every day to keep them away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Could still have nits (eggs) and they could have hatched...it usually takes more then once to get rid of them
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 6:34 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree, I would go over her head again to make sure the lice were gone. In the event it was gone, I would use head and shoulders to help her.
    Lisa0626

Answer by Lisa0626 at 9:14 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I would re-treat.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If she still itches, she still has lice. Wash her hair, put in conditioner and comb through with a metal lice comb. Wipe the comb off on a paper towel. Do you see tiny specs? Those are nits. I had to do this for MONTHS before it was totally gone!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Ooh i like the tea tree oil idea! Im not familiar with lice but if for some reason its not i would use some head and shoulders dandruff shampoo stores usually sell non name brand versions of it.GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• you can wash her hair daily with head and shoulders. There is enough medication in it to treat the nits, you can also use t-gel shampoo daily.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2011