Should I do this to make her feel better?

I asked this yesterday but didn't get many responses so I figured I'll try again.

My 8 year old daughter (i am 25) has serious medical problems involving going to the bathroom - she's totally incontinent and also has little to no bladder control. Basically she goes to the bathroom the moment she senses the need...she can't hold it. Obviously this creates lots of problems on trips/etc. 

Me and her are going to be going on a very long, 10 hour car trip together...so of course she is going to be in trouble bathroom-wise. She will be wearing diapers and using them throughout the trip, because there's just no other way. I know having to use diapers/etc makes her really, really embarrassed, so I have an idea. Even though I have no trouble holding it and going to the bathroom, perhaps I could wear a diaper and use it just like her? Then she would feel better im sure if an adult like her mother was using a diaper too. 

What do you guys think? I think it would make her feel more "normal." What I would probably do is use the bathroom on designated food/gas stops, but otherwise make no special stops for me to go to the bathroom..and just use the diaper when I need to. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Travel

• I think you are such a sweet and sensitive mom to do something such as wearing a diaper yourself to make your daughter feel okay about wearing one. :-)

way to go                       you rock

Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 6:41 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Aww thank you :) do you think my plan is good? I'll use the restroom only when I stop for gas and/or food, and the rest of the trip, if i have to go, I go in my pants. Sound good?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:46 PM on May. 30, 2011

• All kids need moms like you! Go for it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:49 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would do it in a heartbeat! You're a fantastic mom!
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 7:06 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I think you're just wonderful! I know a few moms that could learn a thing or two about being selfless and caring from you. Good luck on your trip!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• That is awesome that you would do the same to make her feel better!
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 7:52 PM on May. 30, 2011

• wow!!!!!!!!!!!! that is the best thing in the world. you are an amazing mother. it would definetly help her feel better about herself. that is the nicest thing i've ever heard a mother do to make her child a more confident young lady. i think it is an amazingly good idea. good luck i hope it works for you and her.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 11:37 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I personally would not do what you are considering but if you think it would help your daughter then do it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:25 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I think that is an amazingly caring thing to do for your daughter.

My daughter has a similar issue, although she has some bladder control she can't tell when she needs to go and so we had about 4 changes of outfits and 2 (minimum) sets of sheets a night. She is six.

We bought her an alarm watch from Potty MD - best $40 I have ever spent. I set it to go off every 2 hours during the day, and it vibrates (there is a sound setting). She HAS to go to the bathroom and try when it goes off. It has worked WONDERFULLY. We have nearly every day dry for the past two weeks.

My suggestion is perhaps you and your daughter could try something like that, too. It would mean more stops, but perhaps both of you would have drier diapers longer, if BOTH of you are trying to go to the bathroom every two hours.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011