Need suggestions for a pot luck menu.

I'm getting married this summer (please keep this in mind) in a friend's gorgeous backyard. We've decided to go the pot luck route for a menu. I think the best way to go about this would be to come up with a list of suggestions for my guests(very close friends and family who all like to cook!) and have them pick beforehand what they want to do, if anything at all, it's really no biggie. The only problem is that I have even hosted a party much less a pot luck wedding so I'm at loss for meal or recipie ideas. Do any of you ladies have any suggestions, it would be a great help. Thank you.

As a side note, I've already put down different variations of salads and some summer soups that can be served cold or at room temp. such as gazpacho.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Food & Drink

• What I did for ours was... I did ask who thought they were bringing something if not that's fine too. I supplied the main course... outside bbq so chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, that kinda thing. Sent out those take and toss aluminum pans to the people that are bringing something with a post-it note of ideas... rolls, salad variations etc. but the catch is to have them let you know what they decide on. Did this a few weeks before. With the aluminum pans easy clean up too.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 10:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It is your wedding and these are your guests...so I think you should provide the main dish. I would just ask that everyone bring their favorite or speciality and ask that they bring the recipe on paper so that you have a wonderful cookbook when they are all collected.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• If all your guests aren't bringing something, you need to make sure that those who are know they're supplying for many more than a usual potluck (normally serving 6, they'll need 10- 20) -- which means recipes that are conducive to withstand the heat of summer and being multiplied. Not casseroles. Chili, though. Or a chilled soup -- serious elegance, cheap and easy to prepare. Not seafood. Baked goods, like tarts or fancy cookies. Bean salad, not tossed salad. Meat pies, samosa or pasties. Things wrapped in phyllo and baked, served with dip. Will there be ice trays? If yes, a whole baked salmon, or lots of whole baked sole or trout (cold fish is remarkably refreshing) with a chilled sauce.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2008