I think my son's equilibrium is off?

I feel that something is off. He knows how to walk, but he he is still wobbly on his right side. He always seems to fall to the right, or hit his right side on corners and sort. One day he was outside and met the concrete, and guess what side it was on. THE RIGHT SIDE! One thing, his right eye did take the longest to open. Could that be something too? I will be calling his doctor to set up an appointment, but I was just curious what other moms had to say and if there was any advice they could give me. I really appreciate it, thanks.

stalyon68

Asked by stalyon68 at 6:50 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since you've noticed a marked difference between the right and left it's possible that there is something to be concerned about, however, without a thorough examination, it's difficult to say. Falling is completely normal for toddlers but I have never heard of it being on one side all the time.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 6:54 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Thank you for your response. Yes, I have noticed a difference between the sides. And I do know they fall alot, but it seems to never fail that it's the right side. Thanks again. :)
    stalyon68

Comment by stalyon68 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Has this just happened recently? My son did this a couple months ago(he is 2). He would sway to the side and was dragging his foot. He has an ear infection that messed with his equilibrium.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• There have been no signs of an ear infection. We just had his well-baby appt a few weeks ago and there were no signs of that. I didn't think to mention it to the doctor, for one, it was before he fell outside, and two, I'm 6 months preggo so things slip my mind very easily. Thanks for the feedback.
    stalyon68

Comment by stalyon68 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My son had that kind of a problem for a while. We made an appointment (he wasn't hearing very well either) and it ended up he had a TON of ear wax in his left ear, and it was making everything difficult! The pediatrician had us put alcohol in his ear, put a cotton ball in there for a few minutes (so the alcohol wouldn't pour right out again!) and then clean it out with a cotton swab or, if neccessary, a hair pin thingy. The alcohol softens the ear wax so using a cotton swab isn't dangerous. You could try it?! A good ear cleaning could do a lot of good!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 10:52 PM on May. 30, 2011