Human Pacifer

My 8 month old daughter breastfeeds, uses me as a binky, and than goes to sleep. That is the only way she will go to sleep besides a car ride. She also wakes up many times in the night just to use me as a pacifer. She is also so smart she knows the differences (even when sleeping) between me and a pacifer. I was wondering if any has this problem or had this problem and how to break this horrible habit. I don't want her being 1 1/2 still using me as a binky. She also refuses to take a bottle with breastmilk in it even with me out of the house. Please help!!

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The need to suck will lessen as she gets older. My son is 21 months and although he was a big comfort nurser he doesn't anymore. He was nursing a lot at night until recently but he's calming down a lot. He has also never taken a bottle so I don't know what to tel you about that. In the end I was kind of happy he didn't.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My 7 1/2 month old does this, not as bad though. I've never tried to give him a bottle. Sometimes I put a tiny drop of gas relief on his paci and it helps him take it.
    JMGouge

Answer by JMGouge at 11:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My DD's doc said a baby's need for sucking tapers off between 6-9 months. So you may just want to wait a bit longer and then try cutting her off from the "paci" cold turkey. She'll most likely cry at first for a few days but she'll learn to soothe herself in other ways. I took my daughter's paci away at 5 months (b/c I hated it so much) and she started sucking her thumb (which I'm perfectly fine with). She also has a favorite blanket she has to sleep with. Maybe you could wrap her in a really soft blanket when she nurses so she associates that with comfort and sleep. Then when you try taking the "paci" away she'll have the blanket.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• with the bottle thing (i know this sounds mean but it works) dont give in she will take the bottle when she gets hungry enough it might take a few hours but it works,we let our lil one drink out of our cub with our help and that helped with getting her to drink somewere other then me,if u dont want her sucking on u id find something nasty to put on ur boob,sounds crazy i know) like mabe vinager or soemthing she wont like the taste and wean herself
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My first daughter was the same way. She was quite difficult for the first four months. After she was six months we did the "cry it out". With that said, we did not let her cry for more than 15 to 20 minutes without checking on her. It never took my daughter more than 20 minutes to fall asleep. We also used the swing which was a lifesaver. You might also want to try different pacifiers. My daughter was head strong when it came to what bottle she would take. When she was between 8 and 9 months old she would only take one particular bottle. After tearing the nipple off we tried switching her to a sippy cup because we could not find the exact nipple. We refused to take any sippy cup and would threw it back at us. After about a week, I sent my husband with my daughter to try a different brand. He came home with one that he said that she picked. I thought ya right, like this is going to work. She took it immediately.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 4:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I wonder by what method you are determining that your daughter isn't eating in the night? It may be low-volume, very high fat milk she's eating through the night, and you'd never know.

It is abnormal for human babies to sleep more than 5 hours in a row (the medical definition, apparently, of 'sleeping through the night'), and for growing babies to go more than 3 or 4 hours without food, at any point in the day. Of course, statistically, it is also abnormal for human babies to spend any time away from their mothers, particularly when they're sleeping.

You do know that binkies are artificial *nipples* for a reason, right? I mean, they're made to mimic nipples (not fingers or toasters) for a reason. Let me be clear: babies that use binkies as nipples are doing the unnatural thing, not the other way 'round.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2008