How close is too close to a member of the opposite sex? (long)

I have known my best (male) friend since we were in the 7th grade. We have both been married for years (14 for me and 12 for him) we do not live in the same state anymore. We have children and are happy in our relationships, but when there is something wrong with him, I am the person he calls (after his wife of course) I am not that way but that is b/c I keep a lot to myself anyway. I know the ins and outs of his relationship in ways he will NEVER know mine.

Some one I was talking to says our relationship sound not healthy, co dependant and one sided. My husband has never had a problem b/c he know how I am and it takes a lot for someone to be close to me and would never take that away.

How does it sound to objective outsiders, Ihope I explained enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• If it works for both of you ( and your spouses) it doesn't matter what others think.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 7:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• It sounds like a fine relationship to me, especially since your husband doesn't mind. A friendly relationship doesn't have to be equal in all things as long as the two people are happy with it, and you seem to be able to provide a sounding board for the other person.

Answer by Bmat at 7:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• The only concern I would have, if I were you, is whether or not his wife sees you as competition. If she feels good about the friendship as your husband does, then I wouldn't worry about how it looks to anyone else. Much like people, friendship comes in all shapes and sizes, it rarely fits some neat little definition.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:22 PM on May. 30, 2011

• yeah friendships are always good to have but yeah i dont see nothing wrong with it
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 7:40 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If it works for you then who cares what anybody else says. There should ONLY be 2 people in a marriage, and only those opinons count :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:40 PM on May. 30, 2011

• True friendship is a rare and beautiful thing and yes, I do know men and women can be friends. As long as your husband is ok, I say you are lucky to have a good friend who trusts you.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:07 AM on May. 31, 2011

• there are many people that just can't be comfortable with opposite sex friendships. I say you've got a very healthy relationship, particularly if DH is fine with it.

I say ignore others and enjoy the wonderful men in your life.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:27 AM on May. 31, 2011