My 8 month old fell on hardwood floor from the couch

my younger sister was watching over him while i was in the bathroom. i heard a loud bam and then screams of cries from my son. i rushed out in the living room and saw that blood was streaming down from his left nostril. i instantly started putting ice on his nose and called up my doctor debating with myself weather i should take him to the hospital or not. anyways the bleeding stopped and he also stopped crying. my doctor said he'll probably have swelling, which he surprisingly doesn't have too much.she said that i dont have to take him to the hospital as the bleeding stopped. also she said to give him children's mortin. is there anything else i'm missing?? will his nose be fine? it doesn't look crooked or anything.. just a little swelling on the right side of the nose..im sorry ladies.. i'm such a bad parent !! :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your not a bad parent, it happens! Plus he's a boy, this will be the first fall of MANY!!!!!! GL :)
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Take some deep breaths and calm down, it happens! Kids are very resilent when it comes to bumps and bruises. His nose will be ok and the swelling will go down, just give the motrin as instructed and keep ice on it, but not for long periods of time. *hugs*.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 7:33 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Luckily babies bounce quite nicely. Babies and kids fall, it's what they do and we can't prevent every little bump and boo boo, not possible lol. I'm sure his nose will be fine, if there is no swelling then you are good to go
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:36 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You are not a bad parent. I have 4 boys ranging in ages from 23 to 2. I know the first few times they got hurt, I felt like I was horrible. The older two I got when they were 4 and 6 and felt like I was missing a gene or something. Then I realized that kids are kids and they get hurt. Granted, some get hurt more than others! (my now 21 year old was in the ER so much I swear they had us on speed service!) The fact that you are so concerned shows what a great mother you are! Please stop beating yourself up over it and just give that little one a hug and a kiss and let him know he is loved.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:54 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I'd be scared too but babies ARE very resiliant. As long as you don't think he has any type of concussion or anything I think he'll be fine.
    hazeliiz

Answer by hazeliiz at 9:26 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You are NOT a bad parent. things happen. i felt horrible when my child fell onto our cement floor from the couch, i tried to catch him but missed him by a couple of inches. its a horrible feeling yes but it doesnt mean your a bad mom. it means your human, i dont know a human alive that never goes to the bathroom. i'm sure he will be ok. just dont be hard on yourself. no matter how hard you try, you cant protect your kids from everything. he will fall, and run into things more times than you can count, but thats just a part of him growing up. after a while you will learn to live with these accidents but until then just remind yourself these thngs happen, you are not a bad mother, and everything he expeirences now will make him even tougher in the future. trust me between my 2 boys i have found this to be an absolute truth.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 11:27 PM on May. 30, 2011