Has anyone ever tried to bury an above ground pool? I mean "set it" in-ground?

A few months ago I asked about above ground pools. I got some great answers. We have been shopping to several dealers in the area and we can't decide on an intex or a regular "metal" type frame above ground pool. ANYWAY- the reason for my question is that the installer said he could dig TWO FEET into the backyard ground and "semi-bury" our above ground pool. I think this is interesting BUT I don't know squat about this... if you have ANY experience with this PLEASE post a comment and let me know:
a) any unforseen problems which you have had that I may not know about
b) how long have you had your pool
c) have you enjoyed it being like that in your yard (is it easier to care for or harder)
THANK YOU for your responses!!

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 7:21 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Expert here lol. I manage the office of a contractor and we install above ground pools...about 350 of them a season. We "sink" pools on a semi regular basis. This is not really a good idea for oval shapped pools, but round is ok. It is an excavation, we are talking dump truck loads of dirt (most companies won't haul dirt away) so make sure they will. Sinking a pool will not make a pool more stable. It is bennificial in looks only. A few words of caution...I have seen pic after pic of sunk in pools that have been total disasters due to weather or for the most part had a leak in the liner. Liners are fragile, one hole, leak etc and aaaaall that water has to go somewhere. If you pool is sunk, and water leaks, all the earth around becomes saturated and heavy, no water in pool = walls cave in from weight of dirt. Make sure your pool is covered in your ins policy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We are getting an above ground pool in the next couple of weeks. Had never thought about semi-burying it. I'll be look for these responses as well. Have you decided which one and how big of a pool you are getting?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:26 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Growing up we always dug our pools in made them more stable and we never had any problems with it
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 7:58 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I have no idea.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:38 AM on May. 31, 2011