Walking to lose weight...

So as of today I don't exercise...I basically sit around I was wondering if I start walking about an hour a day can I lose about 15 to 20 lbs by the first of august
I currently weigh 170..and I am 20 years old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• 15 to 20 pounds will usually take between 7.5 to 10 weeks (at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week), so yes, you have time. 1-2 pounds per week is a healthy, attainable rate. But increasing physical activity isn't the only thing -- also making sure you are eating right is important. Too few calories will work against you and slow your metabolism, making it harder to lose weight. Too many calories will negate your exercise. Most women your age do well on about 1400-1600 cals/day for weight loss. Good luck.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:16 PM on May. 30, 2011

• walking is a good start, but you also need strength training and changing food patterns. Not dieting per sey, you shouldn't ever go hungary, but just making better choices is a start
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• eat less exercise more. sounds like you need to make more changes to lose 20 pounds in 2 months than just walking.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 7:50 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I think that's my problem because I don't eat all day and then I eat at night. I've tried to instead of eating at night eat in the morning but I just can't get hungry in the morning or afternoon....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I used to hate eating in the mornings. But you should force yourself to anyway. It doesn't have to be much, just something to jump start your metabolism. That will also help give you energy which will then allow you to burn more calories.

For me I have half a serving of oatmeal in the morning. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:07 AM on May. 31, 2011