Fund-raisers at work, what do you do??

Right now I work from home. I have worked in an office before. It was mostly women, but there were 4 men.

So, when other moms come around and ask you to buy something from their preshus child's school fundraiser, what do you do?

My answer was a quid pro quo and first come first serve.

I knew my son would be selling stuff, and who doesn't need wrapping paper? So, I buy, then you buy. Also, I would only buy from the first person that asked me.

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 7:47 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't allow my children to participate in fundraisers. They are 10 & 12 and most fundraising goes into the school's general fund. I write a check instead. The school ends up getting more money, I don't have the hassle of selling/delivering AND I can claim it as a tax deduction.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:12 AM on May. 31, 2011

• It is against company policy to bring fundraisers into my work place. I must say, I am relieved.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:50 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Parents leave the info on a table in the teachers lounge. Everyone gets a couple of orders.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:53 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We always just write a check to avoid soliciting from anyone but I think your policy is a good one.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:39 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Ditto Meooma. The parents just leave it out on the tables of the teachers' lounge, and we are free to order if we would like. Since most of us have students at the school, you don't really see the school fundraiser forms in there, but we do see things for camp or sports.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:32 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with others, those are left in the teacher's lounge, it the numerous kids selling things that drive me crazy.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:35 PM on May. 30, 2011

• At 1 place I worked the people left the fundraiser stuff on the break room table, and then who ever was interested could look at it and order if they wanted. Another place I worked at they had a rule "no fundraiser stuff allowed" so we could not bring it in.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:34 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yourspecialkid, I have done this too, write a check directly to the school. Usually with the spring fundraiser, and now that I work from home, and don't have time to get DS out and about to "sell" stuff...
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I give a cash donation rather than buy anything. I also give the suggested donation plus a little to my DD's school so that I don't need to sell.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:49 PM on May. 31, 2011