How much time would you give someone on a car purchase? (complicated)

My car broke down a couple weeks ago. I was waiting for my bday which just passed to see if my mom and dad might help pay to fix it for my bday. They didnt. So I put it on craigslist as is looking for a certain amount of $ (roughly half its worth its an awesome deal) or to trade for a running vehicle. Within maybe 10 minutes a girl contacted me and wanted to trade my car for hers. She came over with her bf, and her mom, the girl is 18. Apparently her dad bought her a car, and she wanted a mustang, not this car he got her. She seemed spoiled. In any case whatever not my problem right?

The mom said her dad lost the title and would be by my house Wednesday and we could go to the DMV and get the title, then sign my title over to them and do the switch. Problem is I need the VIN# to add it to my insurance and take my mustang off insurance. I emailed and havent gotten a response. I have other offers for my car. I want to give them enough time, but how much time would you give them before having other people come over to look at the car? I was thinking until Wednesday night, but my husband says we should give them until Thursday since crap happens. What would you do?

Asked by gemgem at 8:07 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• From personal experience with selling cars on CL I wouldnt give them anytime. ESPECIALLY if they wont even return a phone call or email. I also wouldnt take ur car off ur insurance and insure the other car until the title has been switched to your name.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 8:21 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would give them until tomorrow at 5. They have nothing in it to insure that they will complete the transaction. You are loosing time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If they haven't gotten back with you about it, I would say that they have had enough time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Well Im taking the mustang off either way since I am not driving it lol. My son got himself a new car (well new to him) and I am adding it also so I figure whatever credit I get can go to my sons car. I just wasnt sure what protocol was on craigslist. I am new to it. But I have people calling from out of state, mechanics calling offering my pick of other cars and all that. I need a car asap so I need them to either come through or else I have to move on.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:27 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Since it is a holiday weekend, I might give them until Wednesday to at minimum get back to you. If not...next in line.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:50 PM on May. 30, 2011