My child has adhd, so they say.

but as a mother and a feeling i get there is alot more to it. how do i get the dr. look for more? its bad when my child looks at me and says why do i take my pill when it dosent work.

steph489

Asked by steph489 at 8:09 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Who is 'they' was it diagnosed by a psychologist or a regular doctor?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• psychologist, and i keep asking for some kind of test or any thing dif and still nothing
    steph489

Comment by steph489 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• you say you have a feeling there is more to it. Is there something specific you suspect? You may want to get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable with this diagnosis.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Dont know what meds they put him on, but you could try giving him a cup of coffee & see if it hypes him up or has no effect. That's one little test they tell parents to do at most of the elem. schools. But you should also trust your instincts & get a 2nd opinion. (just a side note, my son does have adhd, and when his dosage was properly adjusted, he claimed to not notice a difference, but all of us around him sure did!) Giving meds is not a bad thing as long as you work out a behavior plan for home & school along w/ it. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:23 PM on May. 30, 2011

• this is the 2nd opinion but all they want to do is look at her file and go by that and not what we tell them. there are thing that she dose when she mad that if she ever dose them to some one other then her sister or me, she will be sent off. i just want the right help before there is a time where i am not going to be there to help or stop what she is doing
    steph489

Comment by steph489 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• she is on meds and it dose not work. and even she says they dont work.
    steph489

Comment by steph489 (original poster) at 8:32 PM on May. 30, 2011

• How are her grades? Do you see a difference bc she might not think they work but if it is helping her in her grades they are working GL
    Or ask if they can do some more test or adjust her dosage.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:36 PM on May. 30, 2011

• her grades, are the same good, she is a very good kid until something set her off, and then its on,
    steph489

Comment by steph489 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on May. 30, 2011

• then I wouldn't worry to much about doctors are too quick to put a label on children and not try to find out what is down deep
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh my. I have a step daughter like that. You need to find another counselor. They kept saying ADHD when she was little, now they are saying bi-polar but I don't believe it for a minute. No classic signs of ADHD and bi-polar is different. She would only turn violent when she didn't get her way. Please don't let them put your child in a box and just random diagnose. It's easy to say ADHD. I knew a woman with a child hit by a car. He ended up with brain damage. Since there was no diagnosis for that, the teacher's had her go and have him diagnosed ADHD. Everything is put in that category. These kids need help. Not just some meds and sent on their way.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011