Please help me with my son and his splinter...

My son is 4 and he has a HUGE splinter in his foot. He will NOT let us get it, we've held him down and he screams BLOODY MURDER and won't sit still and I just can't get it. We had plans to go to the Bronx Zoo tomorrow but we can't go if we don't get this thing out. We told him that if he doesn't let us get it out we can't go to the zoo tomorrow, instead we have to go the doctor to get his splinter out....this doesn't matter to him, I think mostly because he's not grasping the whole thing. Help!

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 8:09 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him a bath. Sometimes soaking it for a long time gets it out. It has worked for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Ur just gonna have to force him down to get it out. Pin him down while he is laying on his belly. You may need a couple helpers. We have to do that to my DD cause she acts like she is dying while we are doing it.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 8:12 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If you cannot get it out, even with holding him down, you will need to get him to a doctor to get it out.

I had one as a kid that they had to cut the skin open to get out. It was too deep to get the old fashioned way.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I have to agree with mompam. You might also have to hold his leg still to get the splinter out. Maybe offer a reward after you remove it, like an extra bedtime story, or maybe let him stay up a few minutes past his bedtime. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Have him soak his foot in warm water for about 20 minutes (I know some people put epsom salt in it as it can help) Usually the soaking helps draw the splinter out.

Another method is to put tape over the area and let it on for about 5-10 minutes and to then pull the tape off slowly. The hope is that the splinter will stick to the tape.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Put him in the bathtub to let his foot soak. Make it into a fun time bubbles water guns toys.Let him in there 30 to 45 min. This will allow it to be easier to get the splinter out. You may need to hold him but it will be quick to do since the skin around it will be soft.
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 8:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• they sell stuff at the drug store called icthmal..or something like that, its in a tube, its black and stinks but it draws things out of the skin
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 8:22 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You could try doing it when he is asleep too.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:30 PM on May. 30, 2011

• There is a spray at the pharmacy it has a numbing stuff in there. I think, its deraplast. It's in a red can..
    I've also hesrd of using numbing gel, you'd use for seething, to numb the area.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:36 PM on May. 30, 2011