If you do not go to church or practice a religion will you allow your child to if they asked? Is there a particular age in which you will allow your child to attend church even if you don't agree? ?

This was just inspired by a response I read in the question about VBS

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 8:16 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes I would allow them to go. What age...I guess any age that they show interest in learning about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I'm an atheist, I don't go to church, and I don't practice a religion. If my children wanted to go to check it out, I would take them. If they wanted to go on a regular basis, I would take them. But I will not sit idly by and not give my own input on the things said during their visits. Fortunately my boys have never expressed a desire to go to church, and if/when they do, I don't see it ever becoming a regular thing for them. Seriously, what kid voluntarily goes to church every week?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:19 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't agree with religion in general. I believe faith is far more important. That aside ... my son often went to church without me or my husband. For that matter, when hubby and I were both Christians, we would often go without him. He would stay at his grandparents. I let him decide what he believed. Didn't tell him what he had to believe or that he had to believe in anything at all.

Funny story ... he was having a blood transfusion and the nurse asked his religion. I normally answered all the questions for him, yes, even after he became an adult but I let him field that one. He looked at me and then told the nurse, "I'm not sure what I am but Mom's a witch." I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at the look on the nurse's face. It was hilarious.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:10 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I am Atheist, my mother is Church of Christ, and I let her take my son to church. I am absolutely not against him experiencing different religions. He doesn't have to believe what I believe, but I'm going to be honest about my beliefs. :)
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:55 PM on May. 30, 2011

• She can start *exploring* different religions when she's 15ish...but she's not JOINING any church, etc. until she's 18.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We're atheists and my girls are 18 and 14.  They've been to church and they weren't impressed.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes I always have. There were times I questioned my faith when my older kids were young, but they wanted to attend Christian church and I allowed them to go. They went on a bus (the youth group would pick kids up and drop them off). Later on when I went back to the Catholic church the kids went with me. It was my religion of preference for our family. Once they got to be around maybe 13-14? if they wanted to go to another Christian church and had rides they could do so.

Answer by gemgem at 8:18 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I am kind of with my2.5boys. My girls like to go to church with grandma, and I am completely okay with that, but when they get home talking about it, we do interject with what we believe versus what was preached about in church.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:31 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We've raised our kids to be philosophical and to explore their own beliefs about religion. Our 20 yr old son recently told me he's a relative pantheist. I'm so proud of him to find his own path. I hope the others do too, whether it is paganism (my 16 yr old daughter's leaning toward), Buddhism (18 yr old son's preference at the moment) or a more traditional Church. It's all good, as long as they do find a spiritual path, in my opinion. Whatever age they begin to show an interest, is old enough.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:36 PM on May. 30, 2011

• no i do not go to church anymore, yes i would allow them if they asked.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:42 PM on May. 30, 2011