My boys are sunburned!

my 2 boys went to my mil on saturday and they were swimming and playing outside all day! so yesterday they come home really sunburned especially on their backs! they are ages 6 and 3! i gave them a vinegar bath, aloe vera gel stuff with lidicaine and tylenol! they cry cause it hurts! im kinda mad at my mil and fil cause i dont think they used sunscreen! they go over there every saturday. should i take sunscreen over there and tell her they must put it on?! or maybe i will apply before we go and also tell them to also! what would you do? also what do you do for sunburn?

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 8:26 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Health

• Provide them with it and tell them that if they do not use it, the boys will no longer be coming over.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:27 PM on May. 30, 2011

• stop with that lidocaine gel, just use plain aloe vera gel. too much lidocaine can be dangerous. i'm not a doctor, but it says not to use it over large areas of the body on the bottle.

also, a cool water bath, just keep them in it, or damp towels over their skin and put them in front of a fan. keep trying to cool their skin down. a shower is good too. just several times a day.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:29 PM on May. 30, 2011

• i have to agree with jademom07 but if they cant do anything but cry id take them to the e.r my aunt had to do that with her kids they gave her a realy good cream good luck sweetie
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 8:29 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If they didn't put it on, absolutely put it on before you take them but also remind them that it's a necessity for your boys' health. It's known in our family that sunscreen always goes on as well as hat and sunglasses. I really like the full body swim suits too. How sad that your boys are struggling. :( Really, I only know of aloe but the pharmacist might have a good recommendation for you.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:30 PM on May. 30, 2011

• rub a ripe tomoatoe over the burn. Not sure if it works but I heard that a long long time ago. I would also inform MIL as jademom said
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 8:31 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Noxema relieves pain from the burning.
    1993Spurs

Answer by 1993Spurs at 8:32 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Thanks everybody! they are crying but not all the time! they just had a cool bath and some vinegar on it and both are saying its feeling better! ive stayed on top of it since yesterday! im gonna look into those full body suits! they both habe swimming trunks but i also know they make the shirts to wear as well so i will be looking into that!
    cortneydmorris

Comment by cortneydmorris (original poster) at 8:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I'd be on the phone with them right now asking why the "F" they didn't put sunscreen on them!! Then it goes with them and you show them how it needs to be applied... no excuses or it's the last time they visit unsupervised!!

The swim shirts are good... sometimes called "rash guards" found at Old Navy, Children's Place, LL Bean, Target, Walmart, etc... I LOVE them for my kids!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:50 PM on May. 30, 2011

• No offense, but it's not your in-law's job to apply sunscreen to your kids. You should apply it before the kids go to their house. Ask them to kindly re-apply the sunscreen as needed.
    Anonymous