My mom had my 15 year old lab put down today :( ... VERY sad story. please dont read if things are too graphic for you easily.

He was our dog growing up.. (im not married & havent lived w/ him since I moved out about 5 years ago)

He was such a great dog! One of the best! He was HUGE... biggest Lab I've ever seen.. people always said he looked like a giant golden bear. He had bath arthritis.. for years.. and was starting to not even get up to eat his food. He developed some bed sores... the last few days its been really hot here.. I went out to my moms house to go feed & water their two dogs extra because no one was home from working. I couldnt get him to move to even drink water so I sprayed him with the hose & realized there were maggets falling off him. I thought they were just on his skin & thought I got them all.. I was petting him for a while & then realized he actually had quarter sized holes in his back that were open wounds. Bed sores.. that turned into open wounds.. & the bugs found them. I called some people over to help me move him in my van, & then called my mom who met me at the vet. I had to leave bcuz of my 4 small children but they put him down.

he was our family dog for 15 years. We all loved him and everyone is very sad. I just am VERY upset because of the wounds he had.. he had really THICK skin.. and the vet said they could easily have been missed and even not been there very long but I cant stop thinking that my childhood dog has been being eaten at while he was just suffering. I feel like quarter sized holes in his skin SHOULD have been found. Could they really not have been there very long? I am so upst & stuck on the fact that is suffering could have been prevented a little. Obviously not his old age and arthritis.. but the holes...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Sorry this happened. It would have been best to put him down sooner. I know that is hard to hear but maybe then he wouldn't have to go through so much.
    I had a lab for three weeks before he ran off in the middle of the night. I was heartbroken. I only had him for three weeks so I know my pain doesn't compare to yours.
    Labs are the best dogs you can have.
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 8:54 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I am sorry for your loss! It is so hard to have to put a pet to sleep. All my prayers.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I'm so sorry that this happened to you! But, he was 15 years old, he had a wonderful life! In fact, just believe what the vet said. He wouldn't have told you something just to make you feel better IMO. Maggots do not live long, OK? We're talking about a few days of process here, and it could have been just a day with heat, etc. So, with his age, and the sores, and the arthritis, he was suffering, but not for long. Your parents did the right thing to end his suffering immediately.

Just don't blame yourself or your parents. Things happen and remember, he couldn't tell you where the bedsores were. If the vet said they could be easily missed, he is right. Concentrate on honoring the dog's memory. He deserves that. Hugs.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:54 PM on May. 30, 2011

• So Sorry on the loss of your doggy.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:54 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Hugs! I'm sorry. It's not an easy thing to have a beloved family member die.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My heart goes out to you - we had to put down a 15 year old lab the kids had grown up with. You will grieve for quite some time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:25 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Please Google "The Rainbow Bridge". It will give you a little comfort. I am so sorry for your loss.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 12:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011