He drinks too fast, help!

We've already started not giving him a drink until after he eats for the simple fact that he will fill up on liquid. Some people think he never gets a drink since he ALWAYS is asking for juice or water or milk. He's on a schedule with drinks (morning milk, lunch juice, snack water, dinner milk) and with that he is still drinking 'too much' according to his pediatrician. Here is my issue though, he drinks super fast. It's a 10 oz sippy cup and he downs it in under 5 minutes. We've tried the slow flow mouth pieces and everything.. How do I make him slow it down!? (We're currently working on 'big boy' cups which he drinks slower)

writinglove

Asked by writinglove at 8:53 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is like that... i just let him be like that.. u cant make him slow down unless u give him a sip take it away give him a sip take it away.
    Anonymous

• What did the pediatrician suggest? There are products specifically designed to thicken liquids, but I don't know if they're recommended for toddlers.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 9:21 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Why is it too fast? Is he choking? If not, let a sippy of water stay available. It sounds like maybe he thinks if he doesn't drink it now he won't have any. My DS used to be like that. We have random sippys sitting around with water so he knows he won't be thirsty and now he drinks less. We only do juice at meal times and only in a cup, they have to drink slowly from that.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 9:26 PM on May. 30, 2011

• As long as it doesn't affect his eating meals, i don't see the problem. My son has a sippy almost all day but he eats so well. He is right on track with his growth so I let him drink as much as he wants.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 9:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I had a thought though, is he under/over weight? If that's the case drinking water should help with over and not bother under. Too many adults think they are hungry when they are thirsty. I would highly recommend getting a second opinion on this. From a different pedi.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 9:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My kids will down a whole cup in one breath too. All of them- 5, 3 and 8 mos. It's okay to drink it fast, but we do the same thing- no liquids till you've eaten dinner (we make exceptions for spicey foods, or peanut butter!!). OR we'll tell the older ones, "this is your drink, it's all you get, no refills... so don't drink it all at once". After a few times where they were pining for a drink at the end of their meal and had nothing left, they started taking a few gulps, and actually setting the cup down from time to time!!!

Idk if your little guy is capable of understanding that rule, but you could always give him his drink and tell him "this is it... no more" and when he runs out, he'll get upset about it, but let it ride... let him know that refills are a privilege!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 10:45 PM on May. 30, 2011

• he's not over or under weight. he doesn't choke on it, but sometimes he 'forgets' to breathe and stops drinking momentarily breathing heavily. the pediatrician just said i give him too much. which i don't think is the issue.

i do tell him 'no more' and let him throw a fit over it. but when i'm in public.. totally embarrassing.
    writinglove

Comment by writinglove (original poster) at 11:35 PM on May. 30, 2011