Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Found out my childs father has schizophrenia

I am so scared because I read it it herediary/ ((break down because it is a long story))
He is not a part of her life.
he takes me to court several times for visitation and never shows. filed for modication for more time and still never shows/
he kidnapped her once
i have a restraining order against him.
he has unsupervisied visits (which he doesnt show for, so I am relieved)
he is abusive in every sense of the term.

would it be best to not have my daughter near him?
would her chances of inheriting that be greater if she was around him? I am so scared..

how can i make courts aware so that he has supervisied or no visitations.

people say why bother pursuing anything if he never shows... well for 3yrs he had visitation and never showed and one day he randomly decides to pick her up from school without me knowing and took her without the teachers noticing. (my child is 4) I reported her missing and then they told me nothing they can do because its a visitation day. I didnt find out where my babby was until 8pm and did not see her for 3 days. he did not let me speak to her or let her speak to me and did not feed her, she was dirty when she came back. He brought her late.. so me pursuing this would prevent something like this from ever happening.

i posted a question yesterday or earlier today about this and a mom that has bipolar and depression does not have her kids and has supervisied vistitations and she believed that was the best. My case is worse and he has paranoid schizophernia.

I also read about a young lady that grew up her father that had this condition and she said it was awful to be in that environement especially when she was alone with him

I want to protect my daughter and do not want her exposed to that and dont want her in harms way.

please tell me what can i do/

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Get a lawyer and see what the lawyer can do about it.

    Answer by louise2 at 9:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • Being around him will not make her "get it more." The fact is, she has a good chance of inheriting it because it does get passed on. You really need to consult with an attorney.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • I would if I had the money Louise. I am a single parent with student loans, private school tutiion (have no financial aid) mortgage. I tried to get a lawyer and its virtually impossible.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • wow, i would definetly see about getting the visitation supervised, there usually is legal aide for people in your position. this is a serious matter that involves child saftey. Go down to your local, dss, defacts, cps, or whatever they call it there and ask if they know of any services that may help you establish supervised visits. The people in child protective services look out for the best interest of the child so they will more than likely hook you up with a lawyer, possibly someone who will work for free. at the very least they should be able to tell you something to help you. also try not to freak out about the schizophrenea situation, you cant control this but now that you know you can look out for it. I know this is easier said than done, but try. i hope this all works out for you.

    Answer by 2breath2live at 11:14 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • Try to get some legal aid... it is also more common for boys to inherit it... good luck... prayers...

    Answer by AyamiLove at 1:33 AM on May. 31, 2011

  • EIther she will inherit it or not, I don't think there is much you can do about that. But you should look into what you need to do to request supervised visitation. Try for legal aid. If she ever goes with him again and comes back dirty or unfed make sure to report it and document it with pictures, or a doctor's note, etc. Let the court know of the diagnosis of schizophrenia. Mental illness doesn't always mean someone is unfit to parent, but depending on his situation with treatment he may not be safe for her to be alone with, so I think you are best doing what you can to keep her protected.

    Answer by MaryMW at 3:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
How long?

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
Rear garages and neighbors?