How should i teach my kids not to swollow mouthwash?

i got my 8 yr old to stop but my 5 and 3 yr old do it all the time...

Asked by ilovemyboys84 at 9:04 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Stop giving it to them. They are still too young if they are swallowing it.

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• the 3 year old is definitely too young for mouthwash. my oldest is 4.5 and i know with proper direction she could understand not to swallow it. if not i would hold off.

Answer by tnm786 at 9:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If they do not understand "swish and spit it out", they are to young to use it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:09 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Demonstrate, and if they don't get it, you can buy big spongy swabs to dip in the mouthwash and swipe their mouths with.

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:43 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Start with Act for Kids. Although it should not be swallowed, it would certainly be safer if swallowed. We made a game out of it with our DD seeing low long she could keep it in her mouth swooshing it around.

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:26 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Keep reminding them and practice with water.

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:51 AM on May. 31, 2011

• DS is 4 and a half and he saw big sis using hers, so naturally, he wanted to use it also. I bought him his own, but he is developmentally delayed and I was afraid he wouldn't understand so we practiced with water a few times before I felt he could use the mouthwash. I did it with him, too. It helped a lot! But, DS decided he didn't like the taste of mouthwash!

Answer by jalvarez626 at 1:22 AM on May. 31, 2011

• They really don't need it at that age, just have them rinse with water, and teach them with that about not swallowing.

Answer by elasmimi at 8:33 AM on May. 31, 2011

• they are too young for mouthwash

Answer by critter_boo at 8:41 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I use the kids mouth wash, watch them the first few times to make sure they do it right, also give them justa tiny amount to start with and as they get better at usuing it move up to the normal amount

Answer by othermom at 9:40 AM on May. 31, 2011