My 5 yr old has no attn span...

and im having issues teaching him his abc's colors and numbers...he starting kindergarten in sept and im worried hell be so far behind! any suggestions on what to do?

ilovemyboys84

Asked by ilovemyboys84 at 9:05 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Depending on your school they may teach that stuff anyway.
    Anonymous

• You can always wait and send him next year.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• It could be he's not ready, and that is not a bad thing! Sometimes an extra year could do wonders. Now, I don't know if this would work or something you would be interested in but we started giving my 6 year old fish oil in his juice daily and I have noticed a difference in his concentration. His dr. suggested this and I wasn't sure but it really has helped. Good luck!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Make games of it. Race to find a certain number of toys, count foods (raisins, cheerios etc) have him help shop for colors in the produce dept., make up your own ABC song to teach him. Maybe his own abc book.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:34 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Talk to his pediatrician. At five he may just be bursting with energy, but I think most kids that age know colors.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:32 AM on May. 31, 2011

• flash cards,games
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 8:39 AM on May. 31, 2011

• and talk with the teachers and a pedtrician see if any thing is going on or if he is just not ready
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 8:40 AM on May. 31, 2011

• What I have done with my kids is count their toys, park toy cars in the shape of letters and say the letter, same with colors, just point them out in daily things. Also board games like candy land are great too since you have to count and figure out which color to go to.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:31 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Turn it into a game and give stickers as rewards when he learns what you are teaching. Have a reward chart and for however many stickers you choose, he gets a prize for learning.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 9:46 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Barnes & Noble sell the Kumon learning books and they are fantastic! Try to make it fun instead of a chore. My son is also starting Kindergarten this September.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 10:44 AM on May. 31, 2011