Puppy advice

How did you teach yours to go on puppy pad? Mine does fine going outside but lets be real i will not always be here to take her out every few hrs. So i need help on paper training her. OH and i need to know a good toy to help her teething shes chewing on alot of things. Any advice would be nice thanks for reading & thanks in advance! =)

mercy928

Asked by mercy928 at 9:23 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Use a crate when you are gone. Dogs will usually not pee/poop in their crate. Using a pad just teaches them to go in the house which is what you don't want. using the crate will alos keep er from chewing things when you are gone.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:28 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Thats a good idea but it wnt make them sad to be in one spot all day?
    mercy928

Comment by mercy928 (original poster) at 9:33 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with the PP. Crate train. Max time in a crate is 5 hrs. So schedule a potty break no longer than 5 hrs. While a puppy make it every 2-3 hrs.
    Dogs like to have a den. If training is done properly they will love their crate.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:51 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Don't waste your time with Puppy pads. All they do is teach the dog to go to the bathroom on anything left on the floor or just that it is okay to go in the house. Crate train the pup. I have three dogs and they love their crates, the doors are left open when we are home and the dogs go in and out of them.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:16 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would use the pads in the crate but leave the door open.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:07 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Dancer- If you put the puppy pads in the crate then it defeats the purpose of the crate. Dogs won't go in the crate( if it is the correct size) because it is where they sleep. Why would you want to teach the dog to go to the bathroom where it sleeps?

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:02 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Mercy - the crate becomes a little nest like space. we crate trained our golden who just turned a year old this past week. He's a good dog but left to his own devices for too long we'll come home to a house without socks and pillows and blankets, etc if he were left with free reign alone. ;) He's quite content with his crate. When he sees me reach for my purse, he heads into his crate and curls up in it. It's his little space and he's not at all sad by it. Since he's been fully house trained, we've left him with his favorite old towel. He balls it up in one corner and snuggles into it.

Many dogs are creatures of habit- mine is. Even if we're home, he'll disappear to nap during the times of day we're usually not around. He'll even go in and out of his crate for those snoozes during those times too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:50 PM on May. 31, 2011

• When our pup was a baby, we kept her in a bathroom with baby gates. We put puppy pads on one side and her crate on the other. We only did this for a couple months, until I was out of school and home for the summer and could take her outside often. She is fully crate trained now and hasn't had an accident in a looooong time. Crate train!!
    KelBel322

Answer by KelBel322 at 6:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I didn't want my puppy to go on the pads, I wanted her to use the pads while she was figuring out that she should be going outside. Doesn't your dog have a pet door? Mines 4.5 months now and fully potty trained.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Mines only 2 months & doing pretty good for that age but we cant have a doggy door because we have two. A screen one & normal one. She will only pee in soft grass or where she smells it
    mercy928

Comment by mercy928 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011