Teacher's mom died...would you go to the funeral?

Ds is in K. His teacher's mother has been ill, and the teacher has been out for the last 9 school days dealing with it, and her mom ended up dying. Visiting hours at the funeral home are tomorrow night, I'm thinking of taking ds. Would you? Or just send flowers? Just a card?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope. IMO that is a family/friends only.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:47 PM on May. 30, 2011

• no. why would you?
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 9:48 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I wouldn't go but I might send flowers or food. Your son's teacher needs the freedom to not have to be professional, having students and their families there will put unnecessary pressure on her.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:50 PM on May. 30, 2011

• No not unless I considered myself to be a friend of the family, if your son is particularly close to his teacher than perhaps just send a sympathy card with him into school and see that his teacher receives it.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:52 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My preschool director's son died tragically this year, and here's what happened:

She said not to take the kids (3-5 year olds so similar to K). It was more emotional than this might be, though, due to the age of the child (13). Teachers crying everywhere, I think she was 100% right. Can your son handle that?

Some of the parents went. I don't know how many. I'd say maybe 15-30%, plus former parents (people are very dedicated to the school, on both sides). But we see her and talk to her often. Do you see your child's teacher? Will she know who you are? Will you bring her comfort?

Flowers, a card, or a gift dedicated to the mom (to cancer research if she died of cancer, say) would probably go over well. Your son could write an "I'm sorry" card if you feel that will cheer her up.

I wouldn't do this for my son's K teacher. She's great but we aren't close, and she wouldn't expect it. Unless you're close, I'd skip it.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:00 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Have your son make her a card and write something in his own words. She'll appreciate that.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 10:01 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would send her teacher a condolence card and a very beautiful memory candle and holder to light in honor of her mother.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:01 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would not go or take my child, but I would send flowers and a card.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Flowers and a card. Her personal life should be separate from work.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:19 PM on May. 30, 2011