How would you punish your 16 yr old?

My son was arrested for tagging in a local school. I cried like before when I found out he had been smoking weed. I let me guards down. I'm very mad at myself first of all. Though we moms try to teach them we sometimes let our guards down and let them get away with "Little" things for me it was taggin on paper and alot of warning of you better not do it on building. ERRR should have never even let him do it on paper at home. That's why I'm mad at myself. He has to go to court in 2 months and was released to come home the same day.

Punishments will be no cellphone and no laptop and no facebook..how long though??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I dont think they can order him to do something like that. Maybe they can do a "scare the crap outta him" jail stunt for a day or so. I firmly believe extra curriculars are important. I was in FFA and I worked almost full time at 16, I still got in trouble, but it was rarely serious and I was so busy I didnt have time for bs.

There is ALWAYS something for everyone. Maybe he wont like something at school, but he can find something else that will involve kids his age and will give him an outlet. Since he got in trouble for tagging, maybe an art program would be good, somewhere he can channel the creative energy but that is legal? Kids arent easy. I am going based off MY experience a few years ago (I'm only 22, but I am a sucessful contributing member to society), and the punishments I hated. Structure is key.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:25 PM on May. 30, 2011

• what is tagging?
    Anonymous

• For a few months.
    Anonymous

• I say he should be grounded from those until his court date.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:59 PM on May. 30, 2011

• OHHH see we dont call it tagging.. so dont OMG me thanks.....
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies! Parenting is so hard. I wish I he feared me and obed and just did the right thing. I don't even have the words. I keep crying. Maybe I should do like before write things down and then speak to him taking him for a drive or out to eat somewhere.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• ummm well, no fb and no phone would be just the beginning. That would be a no go for a few months, then no friends for a few months (he probably needs new ones anyway), I would require him to do community service in the community on top of whatever his court date is, and manual labor around the house. Any big events he wanted to go to would be out.

granted my parents were hard-asses. I rarely got in trouble though.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Thank you ArmyWifeAshlie! He was in the young marines and since he does not like sports because he hasn't been in it since he was 5 years old, I was thinking seeing if the court would order him to go back in. IDK..told him to think about what activity to join. I'll have to seriously talk to him again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:17 PM on May. 30, 2011

• OMG!!! TAGGING IS WHEN YOU WRITE ON A WALL OR SOMETHING WITH SPRAY PAINT!!
    Anonymous